HybridZ

Common issues with a car that has been sitting...

Guest brohr01

Guest brohr01

Hello,

Ok, lets start off with a little background information. I am going tomarrow to buy 5 nissan 280zx's from someone, all 1982-83. in the current state none of the cars run but they say at least 2 can be built with the parts from the other 3. lets just say it is going to cost me more in gas trailering these to my house than what i am paying for all 5, i couldnt pass this up.

I am mainly interested in the one thay have with the T-tops, they say that 2yrs ago the engine harness shorted out and cought fire. they never fixed it, it has been sitting since. So when i go out there tomarrow i am hoping to put a harness in the car and get it running. I already have the correct harness for it, but i would like a quick summary of what special steps i need to know about to make the installation go quickly. i am a mechanic so i can do the work, but is there any little tips i should know about how the harness is routed?

Next, what are some common problems on these cars causing a no-start?

1. Im going to put the harness in the car

2. Check oil and coolant levels

3. Put some fresh gas in the tank

4. Pull out the spark plugs and get some oil in the cly. bores to lube up the rings

5. Turn the motor over by hand

6. I should be able to turn the key and hear the fuel pump prime

7. If the pump primes i should be able to start the car

8. If car does not start check for spark

9. If still doesnt start check for fuel injector operation

10. Check for compression

Once i run through all that list what are some other common problems that i could check out real quick.

Anything else i should check for, i know to check the rubber fuel lines.

Im so excited about this, i go from not owning any Z car to owning 5 in one day, this is awesome.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance, i have been reading all of the post for the last couple of days.

Bryan

diagnosing engine problems.An engine needs 3 things to start; air, fuel, spark. On these engine spark is usually controlled mechanically, separate from the fuel control system.

For spark, test the plugs, test to see if the dizzy is 180*'d, test coil.

Fuel; test for fuel peasure, check to see if injectors are firing.

Air; see if the AFM connector is loose, or corroded; do the same of the ecu end.

Even if any of the other sensors that were not mentioned aren't working, the ECU should be in limp mode which should ususally be able to get the engine started.

If the fuel pump does not run right away, check the connector on the rear deck to see if you have power. If you have power, the pump may just be "stuck". Try jumping 12V directly to the connector while tapping the pump with a hammer. Also try reversing the polarity a few times for short bursts to see if that will free it up. Also, the input of the pump has a small filter inside that clogs easily when these cars sit. I had to do all that to get my 83T started but it is running well (a few minor issues) after a 12 year nap.

You should seriously consider draining the gas tanks and cleaning them and the fuel lines if the car has been sitting long enough for the gas to go bad. Replacing any rubber under the hood that has any cracks would be a good idea too, namely old fuel hoses. A 40psi gas fed fire is a bad day.

And the ECCS (turbo) may have some sort of limp mode if one or two sensors fail, but the ECU (non-turbo) does not. It's completely solid state. Open or shorted sensors simply default to their midrange, or the engine dosen't run at all.

Cleaning all your electrical connections including grounds. Your fuel tank as mentioned above is probably full of crud as is your fuel filters and I like to check the fuel pressure regulator because the rubber diaphram tends to crack and give it up. Do a search as these are just a few for you to scratch your head on.