HybridZ

Rear Brake Upgrade Question??

Guest Frank280z

I used an impact hammer from the back, BUT you must be very careful not to mushroom the end or damage the threads doing this. I made a "cup" that fit snuggly over the end of the stub, and then used a modified blunt punch that was about 1/2" in diameter. It took about 2 to 3 minutes to get one side out this way. I would periodically (during the press-out) screw the nut on and off the end to make sure the end was not mushrooming, 'cause unless you have a die for that size, this will ruin it.

Terry

Guest Frank280z

I'm upgrading to rear disk. What is the best way to remove the stub axles on my 74? What tool? I have the pinion nut off from behind the assy. Now Haynes shows something like a slide hammer tool. Is there another tool that can be used??

Frank

Frank,

I have used both methods, the slide hammer and the method mentioned by Mark. The slide hammer in my opinion the best way of removing the axles and your chances of ruining anything are greatly reduced. I got my hammer from Harbor Freight and it was cheap in the grand scale of things. (We should start a HybridZ tool rental service) But I did remove one side like Mark did (no nuts) using a block of wood and a sledge. I took some duck tape and attached the wood to the exposed shaft and from a distance of about 2' whack the end of the shaft. It move about 1/8" on the initial blow. I did this a few more times and it popped out. Does this method damage the shaft in anyway; your guess is as good as mine. You are transmitting a lot of force to a part not designed to be hit and as a rule I don't like to beat on anything if at all possible. The axles and bearings are a precision fit and made with some tight tolerances from what I can tell. Perhaps some other members can offer a scientific reason why you want to pull the shaft out vs. other methods.

Danno74Z

I only used the slide hammer way, but I had the slide hammer and only needed to rent the attachment. While getting the attachment the guy at the counter asked if I needed the hammer and he told me it was only $15 rental, which I would get back, minus tax on the $15. All total, renting the hammer and attachment after returning it would cost about $4.

Why risk it?

Guest Frank280z

Well I borrowed the slide hammer. Nobody rented it. And $84- to buy locally. After I do all of this, How do I reinstall. Draw it in with the nut? Frank