HybridZ

my new struts, what do you think?

Hi Guys

Here are some pics of the struts I have had made for my 240.

They are shorter than standard with fully adjustable custom made inserts.

The hubs had the original bored out and new tubes fabricated with thread on the outside.

Just got to weld the tubes inot the hubs now

strut4a_thumb.jpg

strut2a_thumb.jpg

hub1b_thumb.jpg

It was just regular steel tube, machined to shape with a thread cut on the outside, a small disc welded on the bottom and a nut made to go in the top to hold the dampers secure. I'm thinking I'll get the next set made in stainless. Do you think there would be enough interest so sell a few sets? not for profit just to cover costs

Make sure your new strut slides down into the hole in the hub casting and is not just butt welded to the top of the original strut mounting. Weld it at the bottom and where it meets the casting.

I built something similar when I ran the Penskes on the ROD and a we tested, with a hydraulic press, a couple different ways of mounting the strut tube to the hub casting. Butt welding the strut tube to the casting failed.

Yeah will do, if you look at the strut it has been machined down to fit all the way down in the hub, it will then be welded (properly). There will be no chance of it falling out. The guy who is making them makes some serious stuff, these are like scrap metal toys to him!:-D

It looks great! as far as adjustment, I only see one at the top? Does it adjust compression or rebound? Does it have to be disassembled to adjust either or? How about the internal parts, are they all custom as well? A couple of pix of the internals would be great! I would diffenetlly make them in stainless! What was the final cost?

Hi

Yes the adjustment is made from the top (hex nut) only rebound, bump is fixed although this guy also makes double adjustables. All valving is custom, I hade the shock bodies machined to the length i wanted and they made the internals to suit. I will get some pics of the internals. The guy that made them was the original owner of AVO shocks.

adjustment is easy, they give you a plastic thing that sits on the hex nut and you turn it to adjust, can be done from under the bonnet (hood):)

I asked for compression to suit my 250lb springs, they usually set it for much higher as they mainly make race shocks. International shipping is no problem