HybridZ

82 Wiring harness questions...

Guest brohr01

Guest brohr01

Hello,

Ok i got a harness for my 1982 280zx, only problem is the main EFI relay has been cut off along with all the other wires that go over to the other relays and battery.

So there is a total of 8 wires that have been cut in the area of the harness i mentioned.

Green - hot at all times, fuseble link to battery. not an issue.

Brown - hot at all times, useble link to battery. not an issue.

Blue / Yellow - from what i see on the wiring diagram this is the power feed from the relay to all of the ignition related parts(coil, ignition relay, dist, water temp switch). so the blue / yellow wire would be terminal 30 on a standard bosch relay? and the red and and the black wires from the ECU are the control wires for the relay?

Maybe it will be easier to do it this way, here is how i think the wires go.

harness.jpg

This is what i have to work with.

280zx.jpg

Does that make any sense to anyone?

hopefully i will get some sort of feedback.

thanks,

Bryan

Guest brohr01

I just took a better look at the wiring diagrams and i think i have the blue/yellow and the red wires crossed. so that when power is applied to the blue/yellow wire the relay sends power from the brown wire to the red wire giving the ECU power? is that correct? or was i right the first time?

By the looks of what you're telling me and the diagram, what you have listed as white/black should be green. You want the fusible link hot feeds going to the hot switch side of the relay. The grounds look right. The way this should work is, when the ignition is turned on it should supply current to the solenoid side of the EFI relay which will pull the switch closed and supply power to the ECU. When the ECU gets that power it should supply power to the pump relay solenoid side which closes the switch and supplies power to the pump. Without knowing exactly which color wires connects to what component it's hard to say exactly whether the colors are accurate. I'll check the FSM and see what I can find for wire color codings and which one exactly goes where. Wouldn't want to supply power to the side of the ECU that should be outputting it.

I have an 83'ZX I assume they are the same. You do have the two wires reversed as per your post. The other small relay in that fender space is the horn relay yellow/black and yellow wires. There is also a connector which leads to the inside of the car to the fuel pump relay, this is where the blue/red and white/black wires connect along with other wires.

Guest brohr01

Thanks for everyone help. i didnt realize there was that connector for the fuel pump relay, thats why i was so confused. now that i picked up the cars it makes perfect sense.

I am going to run megasquirt on this car, it should be easier to get it running with that instead of the stock computer since most of the harness is burned up, no big deal.