HybridZ

braided lines on rear disks

Guest scca

so anyone using braided lines on the rear with any of the rear disk conversions?

i cant see how the braided line (oem location) will work when the caliper is so close to the junction.

i've been relocating the rear lines.

what are others doing??????

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.outlaw-brakes

raceparts and brake upgrades.

I have them and they were the ones on the car when it had drums. They are a little long and have a loop when mounted. Here is pic of the caliper resting on top of the Maxima bracket. When mounted, the caliper faces forward and hopefully you visualize what it might look like.

Rside-caliper.jpg

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Frank280z

Mike, where did you relocate to? I just put the 79-81s on and the braided ss line lays on the cal. Tried to move bracket 90 degrees and no clearance for the hardline. 180 and back to orig. pos. which seems to work just ok. Any pics?

Frank

I have pics of what I did, but their still in the camera. I removed the bracket from the housing altogether and relocated the body bracket to just forward of the strut, straight up from the half shafts, back on the body. There is still plenty of play with where my calipers ended up. My are at almost 45* up from horizontal allowing more play with the line. The line clears the tire by about 1 1/2" when suspension is fully compressed and easily clears the strut housing and is lower then the spring. I'll get the film developed as soon as I get the pics taken of the heat shield I just picked aluminum up for.

Cheesy, and I don't like it because it isn't clean, but I put braided lines for the 240-280Z on and ran them to the bracket on top of the hub carrier, just like stock. I did bend the bracket so the line comes up to it, instead of horizontal.

I then ran a SS hard line from the hose end in this bracket, down, and foward and then looped up and outboard to the caliper.

Hell, here's a picture wink.gif :

spotpbrakecable1v.jpg

I'd like to run a line straight from the hard line coming from the splitter to the caliper, but I noticed the same thing - the ends get close and puts the line in too much of a kink for my taste.

BTW, braided lines have a teflon liner on the inner diameter. If you bend them too tight, the liner can break, and partially or fully clog the line. I'd be careful looping these puppies. There's a minimum radius you should bend a braided teflon lined hose, that depends on the diameter (-3, -4, etc.) Don't have that info handy.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages