HybridZ

YZ Flare Install Questions,,, Part 2

GTPVETTE

Racerx said:

"p.s. Fred, what happened to flares that were removed? They looked nice! Were they destroyed upon removal or can they be salvaged and used for molds? Would you have pics of the removed flares please? Thanks!"

I was wondering the same thing ???? The flares removed from that car would work for me !!!!!

Racerx,,,

Thanks for the link,,, i skimmed it but I'll need to reread it in the morning when I'm fresh. It's tough gettin old!

As for the flares,,, I'm afraid they were trashed in the removal process and were just a pile of pieces when I left. As I said they were really nice and fit the lines of the car really well,,, just not enough room with the new taller rear tires.

We'll start the fitting process tomorrow,,, I'll keep you posted and of course keep an eye out for the upcomming questions.

Regards,

Fred

Here is a good dream,

Racerx doing all the body and paint work using IMSA wide body kits.

Grumpyvette doing all the mechanicals.

Me owning the company building hybrid Z cars to perfection.

These boys know what they are talking about.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post a quick update on the install. We ended up using a 1 1/4" alu. "L" bent to fit along the upper fender as a flange to bond the YZ flares to. We pop rivited it as well as used epoxy to attach it. From there used the epoxy to bond the new rear fenders on. Aftrer drying I was amazed,,, they are really stuck. After that a little fiberglass to mould the upper corner of the YZ flare into the spolier.

This weekend is grinding and filler . Then on to primer.

So,,, the thought is scuff the car to 180,,, then a 2k Urethane primer,,, block sand to 400,,,, then BC/CC. Does this sound OK?????

As a follow on,,, I believe the current paint is an acrlyic enamel,,,, should I expect any issue with this under the 2k Urethane and BC/CC????

Pictures this weekend.....

Thanks!

Fred

I would go even to a finer grit sand paper. 800 would be lowest but more like 1000 0r 1500 black sandpaper for wet sanding. Get the base coats as smooth as possible and when you shoot the clear or possibly pearl mixed in then you can just buff lightly. The key is to get the paint very smooth by sanding (really just working the paint). The sanding will dull the paint and once you spray the clear the shine comes back in. It is very difficult to see orange peel in clear but easy with pigments. Just letting you guys know from my experiences. Good luck

I hate it when someone does something and then someone else comes along to poo-poo that idea after the fact, so I'll be one of those people I hate:

Your choice of aluminum raises a concern for me. It has been my experence that aluminum is a risky material to bond to. The right adhesives must be used, and the oxide that develops on the surface usually requires removal just prior to the bonding.

As an example, I use alumumin as a mold sometimes for my fiberglass simply because the hardend glass part will easily pop off the alumimun it is bonded to. BUT, this is not the case for adhesives designed for aluminum.

Terry,,,,

Not to worry,,, although I don't see us going back and redoing it! LOL!

We did rough up the aluminun with a 36 grit disk then cleaned it right before installing it. We also used an SEM two part (mixed in the tube) adhesive,,,, I can't remember which one exactly. but ended up using 3 tubes so there was quite a bit. We did the filler one on one side Friday,,, the other side tomorrow. If I don;t forget my camera (AGAIN!!) i'll post some pics.

Thanks!

Good work!

The front YZs are not lipped - They can be trimmed/added to in order to move the arches fore/aft.

I left mine in the stock position, but had to enlarge the radiuses (radii?) to clear the wheel/tire combos used. My member gallery has more body pics.

Thanks guys,, as we didn't put any primer on the filler so it's hard to tell how stright everything is,,,,,, but I think we are close.

As for the wheels,, yes he's running those but there will be slightly taller tires in the rear hence the swap to the YZ setup. The car doesn't have the motor, trans, fuel cell or anything else in it at the moment so it's sitting high. The rear well arch was enlarged a bit on the front but as far as I know I don't think he touched the front.

It's going off to paint today,,,, I'll post pictures of the after shots when it comes back.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions,,, now back to my car!!!

Fred

• 5 weeks later...