HybridZ

Chevy 350 torque...help!

240zV8

this is non z related, but i know theres alot of knowlegable 350 guys here that can help me....

I have a 1991 chevy 3/4 ton pickup that I tow my excavator with for my job. Trailer and excavator wiegh about 7000lbs+ or so. My question is, the engine can climb any hill decently with the load, but could use alot more torque to feel better doing it. What are the best mod's to start with that will add some helpful torque, and still be dependable as my everyday work truck. Fuel injected 350, stock intake, stock exaust...etc...I'm looking for dependable POWER to help tow, but i can't afford to put thousands into this, because i could sell my truck and buy a mid 90's ram with a 5.9 liter Cummings diesel for $5000..... so i'm looking to spend less than $1000.. thanks in advance

There are bolt on's that you can do, K&N air cleaner, intake manifold if it's TBI, headers, prom. But IMO your talking peanuts compared to the ram. I have 3 rams all with the 5.9 diesel, '97, '99, and '04. You can't beat that diesel torque.

What's mentioned is about it for less than a grand.

i think the best idea is just save my money and put it aside and keep my eyes open for a good new style ram with that 5.9L..... My friend has one and tows a kx-121 excavator, total trailer and excavator wieght is like 12k lbs... and he tows it like it's a car...lol... i got a good job that i'll make like $1500 this week from 1 job so i'm just gonna invest that into the new truck... i love diesels, 5 speed cummings u can just let the clutch out and it already has enough torque to pull the load...maybe pull my 350 and set it aside for the Z and sell the truck body? choices...

I bought the '97 for my wife, regular cab 2wd, intercooled 12 valve, 5 speed with a pto. Probably rob the pto off the '97 and put it on the '99 and add a pto winch to the '99. When she died, I made it my daily driver. I bought it at a ritchie bros. auction for cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. Watch those RB auctions, they have them all the time and you don't have to be a dealer to go and buy one.

Interestingly enough on the earlier dodges, the wastegate springs get weak from the heat. put a manual boost controller on them and turn the boost up abit. Makes a world of difference in the mpg's. The '97 routinely does 29 mpg on the highway and about 26mpg in town. Fuel gauge doesn't work in the '97 so I have to use the odometer and check mileage by calculation when I fill up. I have a gooseneck hitch in the '99, but with the 5 speed I had the trans upgraded to the new mainshaft, 2nd and 5th gears. I never had a problem with 5th gear coming off, but now I don't worry about it anymore.

With the little weed turning 12 this year, I think I'll keep the '97 as my daily driver, and give him the '99 quad cab 4x4. Then I still have the '04 as my pimp ride.