HybridZ

Yes, more paint questions

660Z

Two questions about the rustoleum method....

#1 For the rollor method, what`s the drying time for each coat?

#2 has anyone tried applying the paint right from the can (no thining) and wet sanding/polishing afterward?

I tried sanding a spot on a table at work with #400 emery cloth and it sanded smooth and I had no problem getting the brush strokes out.

I`m thinking it might be worth it to foam brush it on thick in one or two coats and wet sand it down in steps.

Thoughts?

Mark

each coat dries in about 4 hours to where you can put another coat on it. About 10 hours wait before you sand it.

If you don't thin it down multiply drying time by about 4.

the paint is VERY wavy when applied with no or little thinner.

here is only 10% thinner

m24889348.jpg

here is another shot.

m27829086.jpg

here is the proper wavyness with thinner.

m28365534.jpg

here is a reflection to show how wavy it is. No wetsanding here. This is really thinned out like 25-30%

m32294202.jpg

you can see my roller strokes on the hood because I was in a hurry.

m32294188.jpg

hope this helps.

*edit* all of this paint was over bare metal except the hood. I got too lazy and not want to strip the paint off the entire hood efore I went to the ZdayZ car show.

Thanks, I guess the wrecker towtruck will get thinned out paint then.

On the 10% one did you try to wetsand the wavyness out for a second coat?

I`m doing a 2 tone and really don`t want to spend a full vacation week on it so I though a thick to thin process would work out.

I noticed on the table at work once I broke the outer layer, sanding went easy but the outer layer took longer than I though to sand though.

Mark

yeah. I am sorta doing a two tone. My worklog has some more pictures of my painting process. I just pulled that thick junk back off. I did a little wetsanding on my red paint using 400 grit to get it level and then on the next few coats I'll move up to 1000 and 1500 grit to make it smooth.

Guest ericw

I rolled w/o thinning (the paint i got said not to thin) and it still has some texture too it, even after wetsanding. I havn't gotten a chance to take any pics.