HybridZ

Swap Rear Brake Hardware? Early to Late 280z?

Hey everyone, Went to the junkyard today and picked up myself 4 strut tubes (with springs and control arms, for lack of spring compressors and spindle pin pullers) from a 77 280z for my future coilover setup. I have a 76 280z and the brake cylinder in the rear is the sliding type, while the ones I got at the junkyard from the 77 are the dual piston type.

I know the dual piston type is superior, but damn, they're filthy and hardly look worth holding onto. Wheras, My sliding type work well and haven't failed me yet.

Is there a way to swap my sliding style onto the new strut tubes? I know for certain I'll have to swap the backing plate as well, which means removing the stub axle, but is this legitamate? I would assume the mounting points for the hardware would be the same, only the backing plate and everything wheelside would be different?

Will the brake lines line up? I've heard somethings about the hard lines being in the wrong place. I hope to get this cleared up before I get too deep into this project.

Ideally I would upgrade to the cheaper and better dual style, but the ones I got were beat down looking, black, and leaky, so I think I'll stick with the sliding style for now.

BTW I payed $133 for the set of 4 with control arms in the rear and springs and insulators, hows that for a price?

Thanks!!

The hardware will fit fine. You just need to transfer the brake hardline(the one that screws into the wheel cylinder behind the backing plate), as well. You don't have to pull the stub axles or anything like that. The backing plate will work as is on the 280 tubes. I'm using 280 strut assemblies with the 240 brake hardware on my 240. It's an easy swap.