HybridZ

TPI Question

Guest V8Z

First, I want to ad TPI injection to my 350 and I would like to run the Speed density (MAP) set up cause I like the K&n filter on the end of the throttle body. I plan on just running the engine stock. All I can find on ebay is the MAF set up. Is the only diffrence between the speed density and the MAF set up the ECM and the wiring harness?? Cause the plenum, fuel rail, and lower intake manifold look just alike. And last question.....I have heard that running an external high pressure fuel pump is VERY loud. I would like to know if anyone is running a internal high pressure fuel pump and what pump and tank you are using. Thanks in advance for your time, Paul

Both systems use the same intake hardware, the differences are in the wiring, the ECU (computer), and the sensors. BTW, the most popular ECU is the 1227730. Note that you will be satisfied with the torque produced by the TPI, perhaps not so much the higher-RPM performance. However, YMMV. Note too that not all camshafts are happy with a TPI - it's important to use hydraulic roller lifters (and therefore a roller cam) due to the knock sensor being tuned for the noises those make - otherwise your computer will be pulling timing constantly, thinking there's detonation. Check the JTR "Swapping Fuel-injected Motors" book, as well as http://www.thirdgen.org/ .

External pumps aren't necessarily loud, if carefully isolated from sound-conducting members.

http://www.darklair.com/monte/howto/howto.TPI_swap.html

According to the author 90 to 92 tpi had the speed density.

Why tpi? I bought one a while back, but the only thing I'm going to land up using is maybe the wiring harness. There are a lot of limitations with tpi systems, great bottom end torque but they run out of breathing room above 4000 rpm. It really depends on how much power you want to make and your preference on where you want your torque.

I'll probably land up going with a complete Holley stealth ram instead.

V8Z, I have that JTR "Swapping Fuel-injected Motors" book if you want to take a look at it. I had a TPI setup but never got around to installing it becuase I got a deal on a '94 z28 wreck and desided to go LT1 instead. Sold the TPI on Ebay a month or so ago.

I'm going with the TPI for a couple of reasons.I was an 11 year owner of an '87 GTA,just plain love the cars,The TPI from around 2200-4200 RPM gives quite a kick in the pants(when dialed in,and running cool),and IMO,one of the coolest looking engines out there.My GTA weighed in at a hair over 3700 lbs.,can't wait to hit the mid powerband in my Z that's probably 1300 lbs. lighter!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

something else you might consider since you would like to go speed density, might as well be able to program fuel and spark easily(the next logical step is to install 2 stock 280zxt turbos, that is what we are doing):

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101901

We installed TPI on two different 350's now with megasquirt and they both kick butt down low. One is in a 37 rod and the other in a 76 stepside truck. Both installs were retro-fits and required milling out the center four bolt holes because it was too hard at the time to find the earlier TPI manifolds. It was relatively easy to do the bolt hole mod.