HybridZ

Motorsport castor kit?

I saw an ad in motorsport for a kit to increase castor up to 3 degrees.Looks like an extention for the radius rod. Any opinons?I could sure use more high speed stability and centering, as well as outside wheel camber change in turns.I think thats what you get from more castor.It apparently would flex the control arm forward some and put a tweek on the pivot bushing.:icon5:

This has been dealt with a lot on this site, but you bring up a new issue I think. I haven't seen this motorsport caster kit. The only thing I've seen from them is the G Machine aluminum/delrin kit like the one here: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC10

I believe stock caster is about 2.5 to 3 degrees, so what you're describing isn't adding a whole bunch of caster. I'd like to see what it is that they're selling, if you have a picture or a link that'd be great. You're correct that increasing the caster does put some bind into the front suspension, best way around that is to use a heim's jointed front control arm.

There are other options available too, techno toy tuning has heims jointed TC rods, as does arizona z car and there was a group buy on some about a year ago made by a guy in Oregon. Lots of guys have made their own too. I've gotten pretty in depth with the TC rod myself, and modified the pivot area on the frame quite a bit. You can see that here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106974

I also wrote a FAQ about modifying the TC rod here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107794

If that doesn't give you enough info, search. It's one of the recurring issues that comes up with the front suspension on the Z, and it has been discussed a bunch, with different opinions and solutions offered.

Can't find my catalog. Does it adjust, or is it just an extender? Here's one solution that sounds similar to what you're describing, except it is on a tie rod: detailfs?userid={7DC317B0-8EDB-4B2E-A837-F708D07C9769}&ndx=69&slideshow=0&AlbumId={17E71651-3EF8-4704-9954-22956DF10FCB}&GroupId={3B8751D4-D564-4405-8017-F14E1CDA9AF0}&screenheight=768

I also have seen people run a die down the TC rod (it's almost perfectly 5/8") and use a short turnbuckle that's only about 4 or 5" long. I tried that myself but my TC rods were bent and I couldn't get the die to run straight. A friend of mine ran a setup like that for years on a 510 with no trouble.

The idea is sound, but like you said yourself you have to watch that control arm bushing to make sure it doesn't get tweaked. I put on adjustable TC rods then when I adjusted them I immediately realized I needed the control arm upgrade.