HybridZ

Z32 LSD into 240Z

It's possible.. Darius has one.. and yes, the NA R230 has a 4.08 gear ratio. The TT R230 ratio is 3.69.

The R230 is not the same as an R200. Bigger, heavier, and limited slip, of course. I haven't pulled the two apart so I can't tell you for sure, but the Rxxx refers to the size of the ring gear(?). R180 is 180mm across, R200 is 200mm across, R230 is 230mm across.

Guest needwaymorespeed
Originally posted by Nion:

It's possible.. Darius has one.. and yes, the NA R230 has a 4.08 gear ratio. The TT R230 ratio is 3.69.

The way I understand it"could be wrong" The na cars our r200 not r230 .the ratio is 4.08 for the na r200 outside case is bigger ,and I believe the internals are the same as the later model r200s from 85-9?? ie-the ones with the bigger ring gear bolts.

Currently working on putting a r230 in mine almost have the jig made. cant wait can you say indestructible well atleast in my car.

Curtis

The Z32 is a viscous type rear diff. The carrier will fit into an older (Z31 and before ) R200 that uses 12mm ring gear bolts. The viscous carrier will need to use the axle stubs that came out of the z32 housing because they are diffrent lengths from the earler units.

Now the question is how do the half shafts connect to the companion flanges. What I did is cut off the CV cup at the base before it curves up to form the cup. I then had it machined flat and what is left is is a perfect place (dia of 2 3/4 inches)to weld a 1/4 inch flat plate. Have it turned to cut the space for the raised locating ring on the half shaft. Line up the halfshaft and use a transfer punch to mark the bolt holes. After drilling the bolt holes you should be able to bolt up the U-joint half shafts. I haven't figured out CV's yet. My car is not running yet so I have not tested it yet, but it looks to work.

Yea I get to go pick up my roll bar on Saterday.

The problem is that the halfshaft solution that I want (CVs) is not easy or cheap, that I've found yet.

You sure the Z32 LSD will fit into an R200 case? Doesn't make sense since (heh) the ring gear diameters are 30mm different.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Well a Z32 is what I thought the rear housing came out of as I was told it came out of a 90 or newer. The housing is the shorter style when compared to the 83 turbo R200 that I have sitting on my bench. I also had a R230 and the housing had the same mounting points as the newer R200. The newer R200 was labled viscous LSD on the back cover and the cover is held on by 10mm bolts insted of the older R200's 8mm. The cover is finned on the lower part and the mustache bar mounts have a wider mounting than the older one. The viscous carrier is temparly mounted in the 83 housing just to see if it would fit. I would need to find ring gear bolt bushings to put it in and use it. I have the ring gear held in by two bolts just to see, and it seems to have the fit and feel as the open diff I took out. I took the R230 back as I could figure out a easy (cheap) fit in a 71. I could be wrong what the viscous diff came out of but I don't think so.

Don

[This message has been edited by Dp351zcar (edited April 01, 2001).]

I didn't think that would work. Interesting, though. Now if someone could figure out the answer to the hard problem - how to do CV shafts out of that diff and to the 280Z stub axle/companion flange without having expensive custom shafts made.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages