HybridZ

sr20det Identification...Newbie

ToplessZ

Well I just acquired what appears to be an sr20det. I am fairly familiar with these but I have what may be a couple of dumb questions. The first thing i dont understand is the distributer I thought all the det's had coil packs. It was imported from japan and has the stock intercooler and turbo stuff all attached. It has no trans or wiring harness but everything else is there. I am wondering first what it might be worth and second is there a good place to find identification information on this engine such as block casting look up etc? Thanks for the help guys

Take pics of the distributor, front and back of the motor. Get a pic that shows the front below the cams and I can tell you exactly which motor you have.

You said the intercooler is attached? Is this a transverse (front wheel drive/4 wheel drive) style SR20DET from a Pulsar GTI-R or Bluebird, maybe? The intercooler on that is a top mount on the engine. These also have distributors.

All rear wheel drive SR20DET's that I know of have coil packs, and a cam angle sensor coming out of the US drivers side at the front of the engine. The SR20DE comes with a distributor and has a grey valve cover.

If you can't take pics, at least elaborate on those things I mentioned.

I am pretty sure this is as you say from a bluebird or similar model. It appears to be 100 % stock. If the motor had been mounted in a fwd application it would have placed the intercooler at the top rear of the engine. It does have the traditional red top valve cover but that is all I could surmise thus far. Is it bad to use these engines to build up as far as parts availability and compatibility are concerned. can I use any redtop wiring harness. I was thinking about using a megasquirt to power everything? Oh yeah and can I just bolt up the s13 5 spd?

I don't know about bolting up the RWD tranny... but I think there are some compatiblity issues.

One major problem with that engine layout is the distributor comes out of the "back" of the motor. That means it would be planted into your firewall if mounted RWD style.

If you eliminate the distributor and run a good ignition with either coil packs or some waste spark multi-coil setup, then no problem. Any standalone that can read a crank trigger will be whats needed to pull that off... then you cap up that hole on the engine and forget about it.

I've seen someone put that head on an S13 block in a 240zx before. They did as I said with a standalone, but they were using the RWD block ... eliminating the tranny problem.

The other issue is the intake manifold. It points to the back as well, and needs to be cut off, flipped over, and welded back on. This is a mod you sometimes see on RWD SR's to use the individual throttle bodys of the GTI-R. (which are nice for response and mid range power, but not good for high power top end)

The motor is marginally better than an S13 motor. It makes 15 more horsepower (rated). The head is solid lash, which is nice... so no throwing rocker arms. It also has a little more lift from the rocker arms, flowing a little more. The turbo is a little bigger (but nothing too special). The individual throttle bodies are cool, but not great for 400hp+

Honestly, this is too much work to bother. I'd sell it for more than you need to buy a RWD SR20DET and move on. It's worth a little more due to rarity, but that all depends on the condition, buyer, moon cycle, etc...

Get the RWD motor and it will go a lot smoother.

they definately dont bolt to rwd trannies...i tried that with my VE to s15 6speed. no dice. i'm getting a rwd short block, [coming soon 2.1 forged pistons/rods...1k] and the head will bolt to that. if you want to use the top half for all its worth , then you could just pick up a rwd short block they're on ebay every once in a while.