HybridZ

Sanding thru primer just before painting

staledale

I did it again, cleaning off the hood I noticed that I sanded thru the primer on the edge. 1/8 of an inch by 2 or 3 inches. What is a quick way of repairing that. I get anal and mix up two part primer (same as the whole hood) and use my touch-up gun. PITA for clean-up and a waste of paint with the two part paint. I tried rattle can primer but it left an edge around the bare spot about a month after I painted it. Is there a better,quicker, cleaner way to touch up the bare spot? I'm already to paint and I find these and it P.O. me.

Hope RacerX book/video cames out soon.

Thanks guys. I'm cross eyed from doing a search with RacerX and primer sealer as keywords. Do we pay you Erine? we should. But I must have been getting away with murder for a long time now. I have not been using a sealer! Guess I better stock up on some DP-LF little pricey but I use it for a base quite often. I do like the way it sprays. thanks again guys.

If your looking for a decent quality, low budget primer, we use Marhyde at school. Its pretty cheap but for the money (65$ for a gallon + catalyst) its not really that bad. I've used it extensively and I like it. (for the cost that is).

I've used some Transtar products and like them as well, they seem to be a pretty good product for the money.

Thanks guys, I was just that my local surplus dealer and he carries transtar products. Was trying to read the sealer can but....... getting old. Thanks for the web site Erine, now I can read it. gotta give that a try, tintable, That will help on buffing thru.

Erine, when is your book/video/ cd going to be done? I want to be on your list.

THANKS GUYS

Stale

Guest 73TPIZ

I was told by my local paint guy that the 2-part epoxy primer i use can be used as a sealer if reduced enough. Can't remember the reduction as i only spray two or three cars a year now. Never had a problem in the past doing that. Lays down pretty slick when reduced enough. I also prime and seal close to the topcoat color as RacerX suggests mainly for uniform color coverage and also for any rock chips down the road. I have "Buff" color for the whites and grey for the silvers i've been spraying lately.

Might be something you look into. It'd save you having to buy so many different primers and sealers if you don't plan on painting a lot.

take care,