HybridZ

Mystery switches

260zjade

ive looked everywhere trying to find out what these switches are...and ive only seen them on one other z...i have a 260z, and on my center console, right under my stereo i have an interesting assortment of switches. I have the regular defogger switch, hazards that dont work, and then theres the mystery switches:

1. Above my hazard light is a big red switch in a vertical position that looks like it has a light behid it (lights up when you switch it?)

2. A black switch that goes forward and back to the right of my hazard switch.

3. A Plastic switch that is the color of my choke light. It is disconnected right now, but i cant find what to plug into it.

Does anyone know what these switches are?...i can prolly get a picture if them if that would help.

One of them is for the electric antenna, assuming you have one. I had something like one of the two near each other and it was for a manual override for the electric antenna. Perhaps the other is for some fog lights which are no longer on the car. Sometimes you can trace the location of the wiring to a certain part of the chassis and then find out what they go to from there.

Davy

Previous owner special, all the way. Not factory at all. That red thing that looks like a volvo hazard switch is supposed to be a blank square, and the other two should be a slightly larger blank square.

My 74 260Z has the blank squares described by veriteck-z. In my 75 280Z the top row center square has a low fuel warning light in it. and the bottom row right square has a ant. up and down switch in it. Don't forget that the 75-78 280Z dash and consoles had changes thru out that period of years.

LARRY

yeah but look at the shoddy install..plus, those totally look like radio shack switches. anything factory should be labeled and professional, just like the hazard switch.

Who are you directing the yeah but statement to? I agreed with you about the 74 260Z having blank squares in those two places and just went on to mention what the following year 75 280Z has. I never said his were factory switches.

LARRY

Don't forget that the 75-78 280Z dash and consoles had changes thru out that period of years.

Both my 78's and my current 77 (not to mention every other z I've ever come across in the boneyard) had blank squares...Didn't mean to come off as combative. I'm pretty sure that the power antenna switch was a dealer or owner installed option, not factory. I know I had dealer AC, and it didn't look all that professional either (a rotary switch screwed to the side of the console?) so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that's the story behind the mystery switch.

this switch was under my dash within reaching distance of the driver, but well hidden...i think maybe it was a kill switch. but others say it could have been anything...it was disconnected when i found it though...theres 6 contacts on top...

DSC01910.jpg

huh. Learn something new every day...I would buy that switch as being factory (or at least dealer) because it's exactly the way I would expect it to look if it did come from nissan, but none of 260zjade's switches look anything like that, you can see they are drilled through the block off plate, whereas the one you posted replaces that entire piece with one that looks integrated. Whatever though, no need to argue about it. I'm not trying to be "that guy" that beats a dead horse for three pages. 260zjade, based on the sheer number and general level of installation quality of these switches, I'd suggest considering them all junk until proven otherwise. Whatever these switches USED to be for, you probably shouldn't trust them to be anything useful until you verify the rest of their wiring.