HybridZ

Clutch Fan HELL!

I need some more advice, this time regarding my fan. Basically, at high rpm's, or heat,(i havent found the cause yet), the blades of my clutch fan hit the radiator and bend backwards, stopping the fan from moving. The fan my z came with was shredded to pieces so i bought a new one only to find that the blade bent back a day later, so i cut an angle in it so it could still be used. I thought maybe it was the clutch. If it had gone bad it could be forcing the fan to spin too fast and cause the blades to warp into the radioator at high speeds. I replaced the clutch three days ago, and tonight i bent another one, and my peak rpms were only 3000. i dont know if i have an overly large, aftermarket radiator, a hot motor, a crap fan (aftermarket stock replacement), or bad luck. Theres only about 1-2 centimeters of clearance between the fan blades and radiator. I looked around but i couldnt find anything about this subject in these forums. Im just thinking about putting an electric fan in its place, but its a bummer after i payed $145 to get that fan clutch in quickly. Somebody please help!! Whats wrong with my fan!

I had this problem when I used a fan from a 280ZX Turbo in my 240Z. If you have the wrong one in there (which it sounds like you do), it will put the fan too close to the rad, and it will jam. I discovered the fans come in at least 2 different offsets. I'm not sure which year and model you want though.

Nigel

i have a 74 260z, and i bought a stock replacement fan from Motorsport to fit in. Although i did notice that the plate on my door says my car was manufactured in september of 1973, the first month the 260z was made i believe...could that mean my car is realy a 73 and maybe im buying the wrong fan?? How do i fix this?

Might be able to flip the fan around the clutch. I know the different fans were attached differently to the clutch. My fan was attached at the edge of the fan, but one I bought off ebay attached at the middle of the fan so they stuck out differently. Might be able to either flip it around, or get another.

When I was still running a stock fan on my car I had run into similar problems. I found that after spending a lot of time at the wrecking yard that some of the clutches stick out further from the water pump than others. During that time I allways used the same type of stock plastic fan. This has been long ago enough that I do not recall what clutch came from what Z but I can tell you that if you go to the wrecking yard and pull the clutches from Z's of different years you will find that some sit up taller (closer to the radiator) than others.

Dragonfly