HybridZ

Brake bleeder question

What is so special about the Russel Speed Bleeders? I have them on the rear calipers, but it seems that by just using my $2 one man brake bleeder kit (a clear tube and a bottle), I can get the job done just as easily.

The kit has a plastic pointed tip that i stick into the end of the stock bleeder screw after opening it a crack. i pump the brakes and the fluid goes into the bottle.

I'm thinking i dont even need the speed bleeders up front...

Separate question.

I have anti squeal grease and it says to rub some on the backside of the pads. How does that stop squeal when the pads themselves are the ones that ride the rotors?

Thanks,

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

I think I have the same bleeder (bottle with a magnet on it?) that you have, it it works very well for bleeding. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the squeal on brakes is between the pad and the piston, not the pad and the rotor. With this compound between the two (pad and piston) it removes the metal to metal contact (vibrations). If you have the SS shim that goes between the two, this will help a lot too.

Terry

The anti-squeal grease etc helps to absorb some of the vibrations caused by the pad to rotor contact. The high frequency resonance is minimized by the anti-squeal compound. Some cars have shims containing a thin rubber coating on one side, and when set between the pad and the piston, presto! No more noise!

Davy and Terry are spot on - the pad vibrates and the somewhat viscous goo on the BACK is supposed to dampen that. Don't put it on the front, trust me smile.gif

As for the speed bleeders - they've got a one way check valve in them. This is supposed to prevent air from backing in when you let up the pedal. The bottle and tube thing works for this too but ONLY if the seal on the nipple is tight, fluid is in the bottom of the bottle, and you push ALL the air out of the hose on the first stroke. When done right any backflush is sucking up fluid from the bottle... I think the speed bleeders are a great idea to be honest but I'm told I shouldn't have any trouble bleeding the Outlaw calipers and not to buy them (shrug). I hope that bleeding will only be an occasional thing anyway smile.gif