HybridZ

280zx diff and or sub?

rwdawg2

i was just wondering how hard or easy would it be to get a cheap LSD for the s130s.

this is something i came across and it looked similar but was wondering if someone had already looked into it and i just couldn't find anything about it.

just wondering if anyone could help me out with deciding on whether or not this would be an easy swap or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-Wagon-BG-BG5-Rear-VLSD-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ001QQitemZ110008026990QQtcZphoto

thanks in advance guys

Yeah, I don't think that Subaru used an R180 at all until the WRX. Some say the R160 is strong enough. Search and you'll find some threads on that issue. Definitely lighter!

Easy swap? Depends. The diff would bolt in, but you'd really have to know if the side gears in the diff had the same spline count as the stub shafts from a Datsun R160. If they were the same then you could just get some 510 side stubs, and use regular old Datsun halfshafts. The question is really whether or not the spline count is the same. On the R200 the VLSD spline count is different, which poses a problem.

If they were different, I think the CVs that come with the diff would probably be too long and would require an adapter for the companion flange that isn't currently available. So you could have a new shaft made and an adapter made if that's necessary, but it sounds like a PITA to me.

All of this is speculation, you should try some 510 sites. If there is a way to install the newer Subaru VLSD I'd bet that they've already figured it out. They've been using the older clutch LSD for decades.