HybridZ

Transmission Location with Small Block Ford

jgkurz

Hi Ford Folks,

Well it's time to start planning my next engine project. I think I've taken the L6 as far as it makes sense to go. I'm considering a turbocharged 351 Windsor for many reasons. I think it will provide the power, uniqueness, and engine size I'm looking for. My current transmission is a G-force Borg Warner T-5. I will be changing the bell housing and, if required, the input shaft to match the SBF.

My question is this: Will I need to move the transmission back from its current L6 location if I mate it with a 351w? Obviously I'd like the engine as far back as possible. My desire is to keep the trans mount where it's currently located but not if the engine to too far forward.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

I am using a World Class T-5, and with the Ford bellhousing/motor plane 1" forward of the firewall, the shifter ends up within the OEM Datsun hole. It did require a minor bit of messaging on the OEM hole.

Here is a photo of the tranny/motor combo as a comparison to your tranny

standard.jpg

And a long shot of the interior and how the shifter sits relative to the transmission tunnel

standard.jpg