HybridZ

LSX Crate engines

FWIW I noticed SDPC dropped the price of their carb'd LS2 motor by $700 since I bought mine.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/272567/Crate-Engine-LS2-Carbureted-364ci-440hp.htm

Maybe GM is starting to move some quantity.

The new engine has several advantages, like the better 243 heads, stronger block, better PCV venting and not to mention a 4" bore. The down side is you end up buying almost everything new. There are not ANY of these motor in the pick an pulls, so even things like alternator mounts and belt tensioner must be gotten from ebay or gm direct.

Now if I can just finish this kitchen remodel to get time to finish mounting the engine.

Yeah the salvage availability of good used LS V8s is nill anymore.

Aside from the upfront expense, the fuel injection route is a no brainer with the entire package I got from Jeff. It's a 5 wire hook-up. I've seen LS V8s in everything from 55 chevy, 69 Camaros, 64 Vettes, etc.

The beauty of a "stand alone" system is just that, it'll run by itself on an engine stand or in a 53 Studebaker.

Have a good week-end

- Lee

I walked into a shop in East Fort Worth a couple weeks ago. They were working on four cars, all with LSX conversions. I remeber three. One was a gen 1 camearo with an LS1, a mid-60's chevelle with an LS1, and a C-3 Corvette with an LS7. All were new crate engines. The Z felt right at home.:-)

I feel really lucky that my son-in-law has such a LS engine business & great shop, but I gotta tell you a major portion of his LSX business is done in incredible 100 K Sandcars, street-rod, performance cars is about 20%.

All these Sandcar guys that visit his shop are immediately drawn to my Miata and they all say; What in the He. . is that! Face it when your desire is to run an aluminum high HP V8 engine in a small japanese car, everybody thinks you're nuts, then they ask you if you'd build them one!!

I've enjoyed thinking about the biggest most insane motor I could cram in my Miata (see pix) Bill's red Miata has 415 RWHP with a 377 stroker V8 in it, but one day after driving a friend's 1000 HP blown 512 CI 66 Vette, I took a picture and photo-shopped the Vette's blower onto Bill's Miata. I was curious what it would look like to somebody on the street.

Sick eh?:shock:

Have a great week-end!!!:2thumbs:

- Lee

Whoops copy_thumb.JPG

Big Block Miata_thumb.JPG