HybridZ

SIDS (Sudden Ignition Death Syndrome)

badjuju

Today My car just pattoohie, stopped firing the spark plugs. tried a new hei module, nothing. there is no pullup resistor going to the 4 pin hei, because for some reason it wouldn't run at all with one going to it in the initial setup. i removed it, it ran fine for 2 months or so. now, i just popped a new one in to see if it changed, nothing. tomorrow i will try with a pullup inline and a new hei module.

After pulling over and popping the hood i noticed that my hei module was not hot at all, but my coil was extremely hot. could be a bad coil rather than a bad module, which i will test tomorrow as well. megatune shows megasquirt flicking the fidle on and off, indicating to me that it at least thinks it's sending a message to the hei module to fire. tomorrow i will run an led to it to test. anyone have any more suggestions on what this problem could be? or a better way to go about troubleshooting?

It's a blaster 2. I tried with a neihoff turbo coil ($15) and i tried a new hei module.

neither helped.

I tried just a normal 12gauge wire coming from the coil, just to eliminate whatever chance there is of the wire going bad, nothing.

my led tester going between fidle and ground turns on with megasquirt and stays on until it starts sending spark events.

does this mean spark is inverted? my laptop was far away from my car (about a 2 hour drive) at the time of testing, so i couldn't check.

Also, my hei module doesn't have a pullup resistor to it. For some reason, no matter what i did with that resistor, it never worked. after eliminating it, it worked fine. now, however, no spark.

my buddy thinks the problem is being caused by the inverted spark and lack of a pullup. anyone's input on this?

Fried HEI it seems, though it is strange that i'm running without a pullup and with inverted spark. origionally it didn't run with a pullup and the spark uninverted... I'm going to put up with simply replacing the hei as needed for the next 6 months or so, i got about 2 months out of the last one, and 20-40 every couple months isn't too bad as it's a project car and in sept i'll be doing some work which will take it off the road until spring.

problem solved, thanks guys