HybridZ

Your perspective on Autobody paint books

RacerX

I was at the bookstore the other week and saw a few books on "how to paint a car, how to paint flames, how to do custom bodywork etc...."

For those of you that purchased similar type books, I'd like to ask you what you liked about the book. If you found it lacking, what is it that would have made the book more beneficial for you.

Thanks for your time!!

RacerX

I have a book about custom interior stuff, and it helps to have A LOT of pictures. And very detailed explanations of how to do things, without skipping steps. Also, its good to have things that could go wrong and how to fix them. (the most common stuff, not EVERYTHING). The latest 6 month edition of Hot Rod bodywork is a good idea of how not to do it. They skimp on a lot!

I have a book about custom interior stuff, and it helps to have A LOT of pictures. And very detailed explanations of how to do things, without skipping steps. Also, its good to have things that could go wrong and how to fix them. (the most common stuff, not EVERYTHING).

I agree with this and the only thing I can think of to add is that some of the books I have were written in a fashion that gives a complete and very detailed written information/instructions then immidiately following a simplified explination of the same thing but with pictures and the pictures have arrows, circles, lines etc. to show you exactly what is being talked about. One last comment... the book has to be able to be understood by the person with the least knowledge who is reading it.

Dragonfly

I purchased a "how to" paint book so that my prep work would be compatable with modern techniques.

The first twenty five pages was on the history of paint finishes!

A layman needs the what, why, and how to. Perhaps a "system" book would be in order. A book that explains a certain paint philosophy from prep to finish. The book that I have did get me to where I needed to be but, I had to fish around quite a bit.

Vids would be great. One could get a feel for the "motion" of the art.

How bout a book that also contains a DVD? hmmmm