HybridZ

HELP QUICK! What's up with my rear control arm poly bushing

ahhh.jpg

Notice how the strut won't slip between them.. this picture was taken straight down on it all.. the bushings stick out a little too much and no matter how much coaxing I do with a flathead screwdriver, I can't wedge it all together! Is this what it's supposed to be like? i threw away my old bushings after cutting them out so I have nothing to compare these new bushings too.. I need this car on the ground soon!

Oh, I've been here before. The large diameter shoulder that is visible in the picture is too "long". I machined them down in a crude lathe setup I made out of a sump pump motor wink.gif. I shortened the large diameter shoulder by about half the original length as I remember.

Even still, it was tough getting those parts in there. I used some very thin shim stock to guide the strut housing in between the cut down bushings.

It sure seems that alot of the aftermarket parts I buy need this kind of tweaking.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

I have the Energy Suspension bushings on my73, the same thing happened. But somehow I managed to coax them in. Did you try inserting the smaller portion into the bigger portion diagonally (get one side in first and force the other side in). The bushings should compress just enough to get a real tight fit on both sides.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

MSA guy gave me a tip on this but I've yet to use it... He said to take two spatuals, like paint scrapers, and place them on the bushings to compress and guide the strut into place. I didn't pay much attention to him as I figured I'd have room but your's looks quite a bit like mine - uh oh! Hope that helps you out...

Guys, here's what I did. Backed the inner sleeves out a bit, then went at those bushings's ends with a sanding block. I shaved about 1/3 of their width off. I also used a file to file a nice big 45% angle on the bottom edge of the spindle housing, then used a screwdriver to wedge it in, then a couple of putty knives to keep the edges from catching on the bushings. It took a bit of banging with a mallet, but I coaxed it all together. Whew! Time to do another one...

For anyone contemplating that bushing replacement; I too had to machine an edge off each shoulder creating a "small wedge" on each corner of the shoulders.

This allowed me to finangle the two pieces together; wasnt the easiest thing to do but it wasnt that difficult once the wedge was there. The wedge & a few smidgens of stretegically placed dab's of grease/it'll take a little bit of force but once they begin slipping on-keep applying the force until it slips on completely.

Anyway-that's how I did it.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Ugggg.. got that first side all put together with the spindle, screwed down, tightened, and installed into the car.. now the other side, on the other hand.. I ended up sanding off a ton of material because wedging it in there was reeealy frustrating me.. went in pretty easy.. but the spindle...! I can't get that mother-fer in there! I drove it through one bushing and the spindle housing until just the first few threads poked through into the second bushing, then it jammed tight. no matter how much smacking and wiggling I've done can budge it into the second bushing. This happened to the first one too, but my buddy was there, and he just whaled on it and it went in.. I've been whaling on this one harder than he was, and it still won't budge.. sigh.. I even greased it up (mostly to stop corrosion while it's in there), but it's not helping.. any hints?

Just checked out mine - it's not as bad as yours but I'll need a spatula to get it in I think. Before the new pins go in I'll be removing all rust from inside the holes with a wire bottle brush. There will be LOT'S of anti-seize in there. If I've got to bang on it I'll remove it and polish the pin until it goes in properly, I don't think it should require a force fit....

I had to press my pins in. If youre hammering, put the nut on so you dont crush the threads.

If I ever do this again I'm gonna sand or grind down the outside of the pin so it;s not such a tight fit. These don't have to be crazy tight do they? I mean that little pin in the middle keeps them from rotating too much anyway...

Owen