HybridZ

Too much power for my car?

rustrocket

Hey guys, i need an opinion. My 1968 triumph spitfire is going to be back from the shop early next week. It's having a custom chromoly roll cage installed, as well as mounts for a ka24de (or sr20de). I have a built ka24de (turbo) engine, expected to put out 350-375 horsepower at the wheels, torque being close to the same.

The stock spitfire weighs 1760 lbs, and when all is said and done, i'm going to be about 100 pounds over that. Do you guys think that 350 rwhp is too much in a >1860lb car? Maybe not too much power, but usable power? I would like to do some autocrossing, but more than anything, have fun with it. Any opinions would be great.

-Cam

rustrocket

Here's a couple reference pics that i posted a while back:

spitfiregood.jpg

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

I had a friend who had the same car in high school. The halfshafts and rear end would be my biggest concern over the chassis in general. He snapped a half shaft or a U-joint (if I remember correctly) after a while with the stock motor doing burnouts. I never snapped any halfshafts or U-joints in my 510 with the stock motor, even with big tires.

Will you be keeping the rear end stock???

Very cool project BTW. Even though the Spitfires seem tin-like to me, they are fun, handle well, and look good :D

Davy

Davyz - I've got plans for a narrowed and lightened Jag irs going in there. I dont think the stock rear end is good for much over 120 or 130 hp (granted, there are exceptions). Besides, who want's that unpredictable transverse leaf spring in there anyway? However, i'll be keeping the rear end stock while i break in the motor.

Edit: and yes, they do have a tin-like essence to them. Feeling like your car is going to fall apart when you punch it adds to the thrill and seat of your pants feeling!

I owned a 73 Spitfire back in the 80's, and I always thought that a modded one would be a blast. You seem to be addressing the major problem areas already... the rear end blows for sure, I replaced the diff twice on mine, while in high school and living one my own... nearly caused me to sell the car, in fact. I have seen several hybrid Spitfires, and only one had appropriate chassis and cage mods... the other 2 both ended up getting their doors welded shut as a stop-gap bandaid. If you havent already imagined it, getting out of the drivers seat in a spitfire without opening the door really sucks = ) I remember that one of the spitfires had a Ford 2.3 turbo in it... and had a moderately serious understeer problem. I believe that was on stock steering and suspension gear though. Good luck with the conversion, that car will be a lot of fun, and will get some attention for sure.

srgunz-I visit that site on a regular basis, it's an awesome reference. For a while there was guy named Rick Gibson who had a single turbo 13b motor making in excess of 420 horsepower and 380tq, but his site seems to have disappeared. Have you seen it?

Tannji - I'm trying to retain the driveability of the spit, so yes, i can imagine the perils of welded doors. I plan on keeping this car for a while, and giving it a serious beating, so it makes sense for me to go over the top, rather than under it and be fixing stuff all the time. I talked to a couple guys about the 2.3 ford, but i have such a network of 240sx friends, that parts are relatively easy for me to get, and tech support is abundant.

As far as the front suspension goes, i planned on a custom brake kit, and tubular adjustable control arms with a set of coilovers.

edit: found ric gibson's website, talk about humbling!

Cool pics:

video: http://www.ricgibson.com/Spitfire/Donuts.wmv

Spitfire19.jpg

WithAC%20(1).JPG

interior4.jpg

Interior21.jpg

Dyno1.jpg

The chassis: frame4.jpg

frame10.jpg

Suspension.jpg

DSC00022.JPG