HybridZ

Basic help on tranny fluid change and grinding

New2TheZ2006

I have a 75 280z with stock 4spd tranny. I want to change the fluid, but...

1-The fill plug has sensors on each side of it and it is square bolt, what wrench can I use and not ring it off or break a sensor

2-If I drain from the drain plug and then fill in side/fill plug are there any cautions (I was told the fill plug could hold a ?fork? and may need special considerations)is this a sales pitch from the AAMCO shop?

3-Tranny works good both up shifting and down shifting; however when stop and put it in reverse it grinds into gear, but works after it is ground into gear. If putting in reverse at a stand still no problem only when put in reverse after driving for a while and come to stop to back into driveway.

Ideas?

Oh, changing fluid cause dont know when it was last done and I just bought the car so I am trying to do a complete fluid change on the vehicle. Only have tranny, diff and break fluids left to change...

Thanks

Jon:confused:

You can easily remove the sensors.

Removing the fill plug can be a potential headache, or a complete peice of cake.

To stop the tranny from grinding, make sure you are completely stopped. Shift into first (or second, whichever works, try each out) and then reverse. That should get rid of the grind.

Good luck and welcome!

Mario

The fill/drain plugs are 1/2", but it is generally easier to remove one of the sensors to fill the tranny. Breaker bar is usually required to remove the plugs. Fill until fluid begins to ooze out of the hole, with car level. Redline synthetic does work good!