HybridZ

ankle issues............

jbk240z

OK, so I have had ongoing problems with my right ankle for years. It started years ago when I crashed a motorcycle, (lack of experience). Since then I have reinjured it numerous times. It doesn't take much, just stepping on a lego, or on the expansion joint in a sidewalk is all it takes. Anyway, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon this past Tuesday. He did some regular as well as stress x-rays, and the lateral ligaments are completely torn. I had surgery on the same ligaments 4 years ago, obviously it didn't work. He suggests we do a hamstring autograft. Holes are drilled in the ends of the 3 bones in the ankle, then a piece of the hamstring tendons tkaen from the same leg are routed through the holes and surtured together and to the bone. Yes, a pretty serious operation. Anyone have any experience with this, or know anything about it? Good, bad, or otherwise, I would like to hear it.

Thanks, and take care.

Jason

I had to have an a.c.l. repaire done. Did pretty much the same thing. They drilled a hole in my femur (thigh), and one in my tibia (shin), then took a piece of hamstring tendon to replace the a.c.l. I now have 2 titanium screws in me plus my left is still noticably weaker, even after 5 years. With that, is good to have your body work properly. Don't forget to get massage. It makes more of difference than you may think, and most insurance companies will pay for it if it's medically related.

Yep. My hamstring is very weak and very tight. Up until about a month ago I couldn't hold my leg at a 90* angle without it cramping up. That's where the massage has helped the most. I get my legs worked once a week, and although it hurts, I can feel more strength and I can move a lot better. Just make sure you listen to when the Dr. says you can start physical activity and you should be good.

I had complete knee reconstruction on my left knee 4 times after impaling my knee on a piece of rebar sticking out of the ground at work. The last time was by a Dr. Jordan Stoll in Boulder Colorado. World renowned orthopedic surgeon, highly recommended.

I had the hamstrings removed from the lower part of my leg and reattached to the sides of the knee joint with two screws, along with infrapatellar grafts as you describe with 6 more screws, 1 in my femur and one in either the tibia or fibia, whicever is which and the mediate collateral ligaments as well. It is necessary to do that to supply blood flow to the new ligaments. It works great, I've never been better after the first 3 botched surgeries by a moron doctor.

In the end I ended up with a 50% permanent partial disability, although if you saw me you'd never know, unless I was wearing shorts and could see the numerous train track surgery scars.

I too have problems with my ankles, injured my right one a week ago real bad and wasn't even standing on it. It's just now getting better.

Wear medium or high top boots or shoes and lace them real tight for support. If I was wearing tennis shoes, I'd wrap mine, but in my line of work I need steel toes.

Getting old sucks, but I wasn't planning on living this long as it was.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it is a serious operation. It sucks though because I am only 35. If I don't get it done though, further injury/problems are sure to occur. So, I really don't have a choice. I go in for an MRI on Aug. 22, then the doc's first available date for surgery is Oct. 9, unless there would be a cancellation. Ironically, this is the same date I had the first surgery done 4 years ago. Different Doc, diff state.

Hey Doc, how did the hunting trip turn out?

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it is a serious operation. It sucks though because I am only 35. If I don't get it done though' date=' further injury/problems are sure to occur. So, I really don't have a choice. I go in for an MRI on Aug. 22, then the doc's first available date for surgery is Oct. 9, unless there would be a cancellation. Ironically, this is the same date I had the first surgery done 4 years ago. Different Doc, diff state.

Hey Doc, how did the hunting trip turn out?[/quote']

Fishing trip was hilarious and alot of fun. I'll post up some pic's later today.

Good luck with the ankle. Mine happened when I was 27 and I was looking at the possibility of having an artificial knee joint back then, which sucked.

It'll be fine and hopefully you'll be better than new.