HybridZ

stand-alone or stock ecu or?

majik16106

just curious what you guys are using. stock ecu with a piggy back like a power fc or e-manage or a tec3 or what.

im still on the fence.. im comfortable in all my 7m-ness but im ready for something new and id love to keep it all nissan this time but i want to stay away from the rbs. I probably would have any bigger of a turbo set up than a gt2871r with cams and this car wouldnt see anything except 18-19psi on pump. any suggestions?

my 7m car was a stock ecu and afc for a bit then we used the powerhouse racing map ecu. so i can run with either.. i just hate making more work than neccessary

I did the Power FC. Check my posts. The Power FC was a pain. Even with the FC datalogit. I suppose if I knew enough about programming it, there would be a lot you could do. It is hard to find a professional that will program the Power FC.

I have switched to Enthalpy ROM tune. It is much easier. Enthalpy does a retune for cheap. I will probably get a piggy back to fine tune some day if I have a problem.

The answer is "it depends". For example, how much tuning do you want to do yourself? If you want the flexibility of tuning your engine no matter what changes you make and are OK with going through the long process of perfecting your AFR's then definitely buy a standalone EMS. In my opinion, a standalone EMS can be tuned for better AFR's then a piggy back or modded OEM ECU like Jim Wolf. I'm not saying they are bad; it's just that the AFR's may have more lean/rich spikes because they only use one tune for many cars. With a standalone EMS you can correct anomalies with your specific setup that a piggy back can't or at least won't do as well.

A counter point for using a piggy back is that you don't have to go through the long, long, long effort to get the system running well. It will run reasonably well out of the box. There were many days when I wondered why I bought a standalone. It was tough to see my friends out enjoying their cars while I was still tuning. I have learned a lot during the process and have my car tuned better than most piggy back/OEM modified systems but it took time and patience.

Just my .02C

ryan, as long as you have someone who really knows how to tune it then its a good standalone, but if you get someone who is kinda half-ass tuner it wont do you any good.

Well that will be much later I still have to have you guys build me suspension, as for the FC a friend used to tune for Signal and he said it would take him about 2 hours to tune my car.

Well that will be much later I still have to have you guys build me suspension, as for the FC a friend used to tune for Signal and he said it would take him about 2 hours to tune my car.

I call bullshit.

But really, I am sure he is a capable tuner, but 2 hours with a Power FC is a little unrealistic even if he is the absolute best Power FC programmer out there.