HybridZ

Will 280z gas tank fit my 240z??? TPI Question

Guest V8Z

I am in the middle of installing a 1987 TPI fuel injection intake on my 1972 240z with a 350 smallblock 5 speed. I need a high pressure fuel pump to get me 38-47 psi to operate the TPI. I really don't want a external fuel pump due to the noise they make, so I was looking around and found out that a 280z fuel pressure is 36-38 psi. Would that be close enough???? If not, will a turbo model z make more fuel pressure? Or is there a in-tank fuel pump out there that would work easily and cheap? It just seems like if the 280z tank is a intank pump that it would be perfect for my needs since it would already have the return line there and it would hopfully fit. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks,Paul

• Administrators
I am in the middle of installing a 1987 TPI fuel injection intake on my 1972 240z with a 350 smallblock 5 speed. I need a high pressure fuel pump to get me 38-47 psi to operate the TPI. I really don't want a external fuel pump due to the noise they make, so I was looking around and found out that a 280z fuel pressure is 36-38 psi. Would that be close enough???? If not, will a turbo model z make more fuel pressure? Or is there a in-tank fuel pump out there that would work easily and cheap? It just seems like if the 280z tank is a intank pump that it would be perfect for my needs since it would already have the return line there and it would hopfully fit. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks,Paul

First, The 280Z's fuel pump is external. Second, I would assume you'll be using the TPI Fuel press. regulator (mounted to the pass. side rail, aft) so no worries on proper fuel pressure. Third, I once installed a '75 tank in a 240 ('77-'78 are larger) and it 'sorta' fit. The thing that I remember most is that the strap 'embossments' are in a slightly different location, so the strap brackets required some tinkering. Looks a litte funny as well.

HTH,

Well thats no good..... I can't hear the fuel pump running on my 280z so what if I took a 280z fuel pump and mounted in line, would it make enough pressure to run the TPI system? I know my buddy has a 280z pump somewhere at his shop. If the 280z pump was ran without a regulator what would it be? 50psi, 75psi, 100psi.... as long as it was 50psi and up that would be fine cause the TPI system has a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. But I would still have the problem of the return line going into the tank.

• Administrators
Well thats no good..... I can't hear the fuel pump running on my 280z so what if I took a 280z fuel pump and mounted in line, would it make enough pressure to run the TPI system?

Yes, TPI is typically 40-42psi, 280Z typically 38-40. No worries.

I know my buddy has a 280z pump somewhere at his shop. If the 280z pump was ran without a regulator what would it be? 50psi' date=' 75psi, 100psi.... as long as it was 50psi and up that would be fine cause the TPI system has a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.[/quote']

Be careful with this line of thinking. The more pressure you ask from a pump, the less VOLUME you will get. At 40psi, the stock Z pump should flow enough to run a stock TPI motor.

But I would still have the problem of the return line going into the tank.

There are plenty of vent lines in the 240 tank to get fuel back in but, you have a bigger problem than that... if you do not run a baffled tank or some sort of swirl pot, you'll uncover the pump pick-up under accel/deccel/cornering, causing very unpleasant surges.

BTW, the external pumps aren't noisy if you use rubber-isolation mounts. Mine was driving me crazy, then I found rubber isolators (I think from some Harley supply shop, but they're available lots of places). Now I can hear it if I *listen* carefully when I first turn the ignition on, but there's no way I can hear it when the car's running (and I have "neighbor-friendly" mufflers on).

Well, I don't have "neighbor-friendly" mufflers and if you can't hear the fuel pump with your mufflers I know I won't. I guess I will go with a aftermarket external fuel pump like from holley, unless I can find a OEM external fuel pump in the local salvage yards that will make the pressures I need. BTW, I went and bought all new sensors for my speed density TPI today......170.00. WOW! And I still need the wiring harness and the ECM. This is getting expensive! I think me selling the intake, carb., and breather off my car now should cover the price of the harness and the ECM.

When you're looking for ECUs, you'll have your choice of a number of different units. My personal favorite, and one that is well understood and well documented is the 1227730. It can run a variety of "masks", or control programs, including the excellent $8d - probably the best-documented ECU mask there is. Mostly used on Camaro/Firebirds and Corvettes, it was also used in a number of other cars including:

1987 2.0 L4 TBI “1†LL8

1988 2.0 L4 TBI “1†LL8 (early)

1987-89 2.8 V6 PFI “W†LB6 (exc. “W†body)

1988-94 3.1 V6 PFI “T†LH0 (exc. “W†body)

1990-92 5.0 V8 TPI “F†LB9

1990-92 5.7 V8 TPI “8†L98 (“F†body)

(from http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html )

AUJP1350 90-92 V8 TPI, 1227730

AUJMV 89 5.7L TPI Camaro automatic

BAFL 93 LT1 TPI Camaro automatic

AZTY 92 3.1L MPFI Camaro "T"

AMAS7004 2.8L Auto

ASMJ0692 88 Beretta/2.8L/Speed Density

ADRY2642 87 Cimarron/2.8L/DigDash/Non-SD

ADRY3193 87 Cimarron/2.8L/DigDash/Non-SD

ARDC4468 88 Cimarron/2.8L/DigDash/Speed Density

ADRR3163 87 Corsica/Beretta 2.8, 3spd auto, Federal emissions,

3.18:1 final drive, without Z21

The easiest to find is the Corsica/Beretta - I gave $25.00 last time I picked one up at Pick 'n Pull. For your V8 application, you'll also need to get the Memcal for your particular motor, or something close. GM Parts Direct has them for about $45.00 (last time I checked).

You can find harness diagrams all over the place, a good one being http://chevythunder.com/

Good luck and have fun.