HybridZ

lt4 cam good for boost???

does anyone use or know of anyone who uses a lt4 hotcam as a FI cam? im in the process of installing a lt4 hotcam kit into my 95 lt1 280z and was wondering what you guys think the results will be with the lt4 cam with 8 psi of boost. good or bad idea? i just want something basic for now until the turbo kit comes together, cause dont want to rip the motor apart for a different cam install later. the motor is from a caprice so the n/a hp is low. let me know your guys thoughts...ive havent yet, seen any 96 stock lt4 vette with turbo or supercharged...with the stock motor, especially with the stock cam. or am i just better off installing a stock camaro cam with stock springs?

The cam will be fine with boost, but is not optimized to take adavantage of the increased volume of air which comes with forced induction. If you have the cam already use it, if you dont talk with a rep of one of the large cam companies and they can suggest a cam which will maximize the use of forced induction.

i just want at least a good 300hp n/a right now until i throw in the single turbo later on the road, hopefully in a couple months. i dont think its that bad of a cam for boost. im not looking for 500hp or anything. just a basic lt1 single t-60-70? turbo, daily driven. motors not in yet so im just throwing in the basic for a good hp n/a and hopefully boost wont effect anything down the road.

i just want at least a good 300hp n/a right now until i throw in the single turbo later on the road, hopefully in a couple months. i dont think its that bad of a cam for boost. im not looking for 500hp or anything. just a basic lt1 single t-60-70? turbo, daily driven. motors not in yet so im just throwing in the basic for a good hp n/a and hopefully boost wont effect anything down the road.
The LT4 hot cam kit is a good deal, and there are a few people at this site that are running with it. I would think you would be close the 300 hp your wanting with this kit and maybe a couple of other improvements (programming out emissions, shorty headers, cold air intake, and possibly higher rated injectors).

Depending what your goals are with the turbo, you can probably get a cam that would work better with it. I would think that if you put out all the money for a turbo system, you would want your engine to be setup to make use of what it can do for you. I would figure out what you want your engine to be in the long run, and then purchase the items that will get you there. You can waste a lot of money buying things like a cam and then finding out you want a different one later.

personaly id get more of a boost oriented cam. dont get one for like all out boost but get a cam that wouldnt be a complete dog N/A.

some examples id use would be the LS1 "sleeper" cams. a bit more duration, a slight increase in LSA but a large jump in lift.

but no, i dont think the hot cam would be all that bad for a NA then later mild boost set up, it shouldnt be on to much of an LSA or duration to bleed off boost.

right now im going to be running with the setup bartman mentioned above, shorty, programed pcm and no ac/ps stuff and emission stuff, etc...i was just hoping to hear what ls1 240z said, it shouldnt be too much LSA to bleed off boost! in that case, the cams going in for now. the motor should handle 8psi with good injectors on stock internals, it should be ok on 6psi with a 12.1 FMU itself. i heard of lt1s doing 12psi with good airfuel ratios on bone stock camaros with tunning. so as long as the cams not going bleed off boost, ill be good.

the cars pretty much a weekend car but trying to drive it as much a possible, maybe everyday, its only a stock lt1 with a little boost...as long as its under boost, i should have to worry since itll just be operating as a stock lt1 with hotcam. about the engine build to use the turbo, im not trying to go too extreme into the build since i wont be seeing no more then 10psi at most, so stock should be ok with tunning and injectors and msd retard under boost. the turbo kit shouldnt be much except for the turbo itself. manifolds going to be build by my bro since hes a certified tig welder and work at a fabricating race shop with all kinds of scrap metal and blown bigblocks.

ill try to post some pics for you lt1 guys when its done. it should look pretty sick.