HybridZ

Buying a 280zx NA Car?

JSM

Would buying a NA 280zx car help in anyway for creating a 280zx turbo car? Any of the electronics useful? Block and head is totally different from my understanding, yes?

Is the manual tranny in a NA car the same T5 in the turbo?

Not really! Depending on the year the block could be a F54 which is the same as the turbo engine. As for the head, it will not be a P90 or P90a but you could have P79 head which can be used depending on your build.

Starter, alernater, distributor can all be used interchangeably. Only some 83 ZX cars came with T5 Transmission. If it has a 5 speed then it should be the short through transmission that most people want. So depending on how much you pay for it and what your build is, it might be worth it.

Not really! Depending on the year the block could be a F54 which is the same as the turbo engine. As for the head' date=' it will not be a P90 or P90a but you could have P79 head which can be used depending on your build.

Starter, alernater, distributor can all be used interchangeably. Only some 83 ZX cars came with T5 Transmission. If it has a 5 speed then it should be the short through transmission that most people want. So depending on how much you pay for it and what your build is, it might be worth it.[/quote']

Actually...blocks and heads are totally interchangeable...many folks are successfully turbocharging the regular NA 280ZX and making great reliable power keeping the boost level safe. Turbo cars had very safe and low 7.0:1 compression.

And the T5 ONLY came in '82 and '83 in the Turbo cars. I had a T5 in my ZX Turbo and I am now running a regular NA 5speed, it has been reliable, taken the the beating and shifts smooth.

I also have an NA tranny on my turbo car that has survived the punishment.

Plus I hear the T-5 is a lot notchier then the Nissan one. The good thing about the T-5 is that short throw shifters are a lot easier to find.

Now would an NA help towards a turbo car?

If I had the space and the money, I'd get it just to start getting a collection of spare nuts, bolts, parts (t-tops/tail lights/etc).

Plus you can also part it out and sell and recoup some losses...

Mario