HybridZ

Just getting started on my Turbo swap, need help!

Guest Andrew240

Guest Andrew240

Hey all,

Background:

I've decided to put up what 350 parts that I have collected for sale, and keep my 240 with an L6. I have a 99% complete (can't find where I put the AFM) 83 ZXT parts car. I'll be using the T5 tranny, and whatever parts you guys say I need.

I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand through the next few paragraphs, but I could sure use some guidance! I plan on running a modest amount of boost above factory. Would 300HP sound like too much to ask for?

The engine has 156xxx miles on it. So I'll be rebuilding the block/head during the wintertime, to make sure everything is fresh and tidy for springtime.

There is currently a mouse nest living inside the turbo. I'll be sending it out to a local shop (Blaylock Turbo) to be rebuilt. Roughly $250, unless I can find better.

My main question is in regards to the fuel delivery, and honestly, this is the only part that worries me. I am an SU person, having duals on both my MGB, and on my 240 currently. I have a little extra cash, and if I can buy ease of use with it, and knock out a lot of issues (like trying to get all of the factory stuff up to snuff and working again), I would be very happy. On the www.sdsefi.com website, it lists three different kits. EM-4D, EM-4E/MSD, and EM-4F. Could someone in laymen's terms explain which kit would be best for what I am wishing to do? Again, I would like to basically buy injectors, clean up my intake manifold, put on the turbo and related plumbing, and then buy the rest.

Which kit would be the best for what I am wanting to do? Is 300HP a reasonable figure for pump gas? Am I forgetting anything! Please help!!

:shock::icon45::shock:

Guest Andrew240

Oh, I forgot to mention. What injectors would you guys recommend, as I see that SDS requires to know the impedance and flow rate before ordering. Thanks!!!!!

I like the RC engineering injectors. I got a used set of 500cc injectors and am running around 15lbs of boost in one of my cars. I'm still trying to figure out the megasquirt stuff, but I will be using those injectors with the Mega Squirt System when I set it up on my 71 240Z.

300 isn't unreasonable, but make sure you deal with the piston issues durring the buildup. Also when you have the stock turbo worked on if that is your plan, make sure to deal with the thrust bear!!! I recently figured out that anything more than like 10psi of boost on a basically stock turbo system will damage the turbo unit quite fast. Make sure you run some sort of BOV before the throttle plate it helps, but is not a complete fix. Replace the 180 deg bearing with a 360 deg bearing in conjunction with the BOV and you'll be good. If you are using the stock turbo unit...

Let me direct your attention to the upcoming auction for pinks z parts which includes all necessary parts to complete a monster L6 turbo combination. Included is the intake, injectors, exhaust header, turbo, wastegate, downpipes, just about everything you need. And if the trans doesn't hold up there is a z32 trans with the mazworks conversion complete with shifter, throwout bearing, clutch fork, driveline, adapter, etc. ready to bolt in. Watch the announcement that SuperDan posted and it'll be up soon!!!

Guest Andrew240

I'm not sure I want to do a monster buildup! My fiancee would kill me! But seriously, I'm on more of a time budget than a money budget. Full-time job, full-time student. That's why I was looking at the SDS fuel system, and trying to stick with basically stock parts. That doesn't rule out, however, replacing or upgrading parts that are prone to failure. I know the intake design isnt' the greatest,and the DP design stinks, but I think it will work for me!

What would you guys recommend for a turbo replacement unit, if not the stock unit? Anything for sale in the classifieds right now worth having for what I want to do?

And what is the piston issue that I should deal with?

Can somebody point me in the right direction of a supplier for some of these parts? Thanks!

Let me direct your attention to the upcoming auction for pinks z parts which includes all necessary parts to complete a monster L6 turbo combination. Included is the intake, injectors, exhaust header, turbo, wastegate, downpipes, just about everything you need. And if the trans doesn't hold up there is a z32 trans with the mazworks conversion complete with shifter, throwout bearing, clutch fork, driveline, adapter, etc. ready to bolt in. Watch the announcement that SuperDan posted and it'll be up soon!!!

Is this something that even no donating members have access to see or is it going on ebay?