HybridZ

Mallory Unilite Distributor

alexdeprat

Greetings, i have a question that I hope you can help me, I just got a 77 Z with an 83 ZX turbo engine installed, question can I replaced the stock distributor with a Mallory Unilite Distributor and not run into any trouble, gents this is the first time that I have a fuel injection Z car and on top of that a turbo. :icon43: Thank you all.

No, the 83 turbo distributor has a crank angle optical trigger inside that sends timing info via 360 slots to the ECU.The Mallory Unilight uses an optical trigger as well but only uses 6 slots and the ECU won`t recognize the signal.I had a Unilight on my car at one time with an MSD Boost Timing Master and the setup worked fine, I later used a 82 NA distributor that had a aerospace plastic rather than a brass bushing installed.

The thing that worries me about the Mallory units is that electronic trigger that is prone to go out even with a surge protector. Wouldn't that be great while driving the Dragon's Tail? Bought a Mallory Unilite - returned it and went with a Datsun/Nissan distributor. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Interesting why some folks think the UniLite is not so good....been running one since 2000 and have experienced zero issues! Mine works perfectly.

Because every time we run one in a race car the LED falls out.

Had one in a 1970 Mustang way back in the day and loved it. Quit using them when we had failures in race cars. Too many other good options...

Because every time we run one in a race car the LED falls out.

Had one in a 1970 Mustang way back in the day and loved it. Quit using them when we had failures in race cars. Too many other good options...

Didn't Mallory address that issue some time ago? If you have any pics of the failure I would be interested in seeing it katman. You are correct however...there are other options besides a UniLite!