HybridZ

adjustable t/c rod, 280zx

Hello, I recently took my car to the alignment shoip and caster is way off, so I'm trying to get adjustable tension rods. Of course nobody makes any for the S130, so I'm looking at making my own. I was planning on using rod ends to replace the bushings, then a hex shaped tube that's threaded inside for adjustments, then cutting off stock rod and threading the end of it.

First, does this sound OK, and second, does this tube look like it will be strong enough for the tension rod:

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=1760

I searched and found chassisshop.com, but they seem to only have tube or solid bar that you weld to a threaded adaptor (which would probably be better, just more work and more expensive). Of course, I don't want my rod to bend or break while I'm driving. This is a street car, but sometimes driven hard in isolated areas.

Any comments?

I think the ones that they have for a Z would work on a ZX. The main issue is that you'd want to have room to make the arms shorter on a ZX for more caster, where you want longer on the Z to add caster. You should be able to measure the existing rod and see if the aftermarket ones are longer or shorter, then you can get a shorter turnbuckle if you need it.

well, the only thing is that the holes where it bolts to the control arm are different than the z. so (i think) to use the one for the z, i'd have to remove the 'hockey' piece that bolts to the arm, and replace it with either my stock tension rod (cut and threaded) or make my own 'hockey' piece.

Use the search function,check out the members galleries,there's a shot of mine in the handfull of pics I've got.I used Chassisshop.com myself for the clevis parts,nice stuff.240hoke has a write up on it on his site,can't be too much different incorporating it for a 280.....Again,search......and search some more....:mrgreen: