HybridZ

280z Distributor in a 260z

I have been told that switching to a 280z distributor would be a good idea, im just wondering if any modifications need to be made when you make the switch, and what exactly does this do? I have heard it increases performance, but is it noticeable and will it cut down on gas or just increase hp? or either?

Thanks

1974 260Z

P.S. Any specific year distributor I should look for?

First question: is your engine stock, or have you made any mods to it?

In my case I have an 80 distributor on my L28 in my '73. Since I'm running with webers, there isn't enough vacuum to take advantage of the vacuum advance. So I have tuned it for a total of 35 degrees of advance which is about as far as I can go before I hear detonation. This works out to be about 15 degrees of advance at idle, much more than with the stock dizzy which is about 8. This matters because more advance gives me a better idle, and smoother low speed running.

The other day I thought I had a problem with it so I put the old one back in and set it for 8 degrees advance at idle. My low speed drivability and idle were horrible. When my engine was stock I didn't have these issues so I think that it's mostly due to the webers, bigger cam, headers, etc.

So my point is if your engine is stock, you can probably just keep using your stock dizzy as long as it's in good condition.

BTW, if you do the swap, you can't run points as the later distributors were all electronic and points wont' fit. I don't know if the 260 still used points, but if it did, then you'd have to convert, which is a good thing to do anyway. The details of connecting it up have been written up here many times before.