HybridZ

Stereo Help

Whittie

I just installed new speakers in my Z and before i did the stereo ran fine, no though i have a really wierd intermittent problem. The stereo (LG head unit) turns on and lights up and starts playing the cd or radio but no sound goes to the speakers. Although thats not all, sometimes it will work, and then it will just stop, or it will work when ignition is on and then not work once the car has been started, and if i turn the ignition on one time and it doesnt work, then i turn the ignition off and on again a few times it will inevitably start to work again without touching anything.

what is really confusing mw is the fact that it turns on but the speakers are getting the intermittent signal, i cant work out why that is so.

All i did when i changed the speakers over was disconect the old ones and plug the new ones in, i didnt change anything at the harness only at the end of the speaker cable.

any one got any ideas what might be happening because it has me stumped.

Thanks,

Tom.

Check your ground. I had this exact same problem with the stereo in my old Jeep, and it turned out that my ground connection point wasn't the best. Another thing to look for that's common is the inline fuse holders. Sometimes you have to stratech out the spring a little to ensure it puts enough tension on the fuse to get a good connection.

Thanks so far guys but no go :(

Ok,

ive just finished rewiring the whole harness and its not a ground or the fuse. i did a continuity check on the speakers and the speaker cable isnt earthing on the body and the speakers work on my home system.

Now when i turn the stereo on it all lights up and the left speaker (always and only) makes a POP noise and thats it. i checked for a circuit with the multimeter and there is no internal circuit in the head unit when it is turned on so could this be the problem. if it is does it mean the head unit is beat? or is the problem perhaps a load safety cutout due to a malfunction or over load? just thought i'd mention cause these speakers are only 4 Ohm and i'm not sure of what the old ones were but they are bound to have been a higher resistance.

I even re wired the speakers (only two) from rear's to front to see if that was the problem but to no avail.

Tom.

Offhand, I can't think of too many car speakers that are NOT 4 ohm, until you start talking about individual drivers.

Are you sure a speaker lug isn't grounding out?

Have youu tried tapping the cone of one of the speakers when it isn't working and the system is on? SAW CUSTOMER ONCE WHO COMPained about something like you have that had blown speakers. They wouldn't budge sometimes, then they'd let go for a bit, then lock up again - rattled a lot too.