HybridZ

Mixing fuel question.......

jnjdragracing

As you know we run a 6-71 bds blower on our 355 cu. chevy. We run 116 octane fuel. Has anyone heard of or have tried mixing alcohol with racing gas?

I was thinkig if we mixed alcohol with the racing gas, we would get a cooler burn, thus more power.

Would like to switch to alcohol one day. Will pursue this after SEZ. But until them thought I would ask.

John

As you know we run a 6-71 bds blower on our 355 cu. chevy. We run 116 octane fuel. Has anyone heard of or have tried mixing alcohol with racing gas?

I was thinkig if we mixed alcohol with the racing gas' date=' we would get a cooler burn, thus more power.

Would like to switch to alcohol one day. Will pursue this after SEZ. But until them thought I would ask.

John[/quote']

Nope, IMO that won't work, different BTU ratings per lb. going to screw up your jetting and go seriously lean! Might have the octane, but it's going to take energy away and add alot of oxygen to the mix. You use roughly 2 times as much as you do gas.

I would suggest that you make the switch if your motor is built to handle the power. It's been done, the extraction of 1200+ HP with a good 6-71 mounted on a 350 with good heads. The difference in HP and temperature of the engine is dramatic. My engines rarely get over 150 to 170 degrees after a run. I typically don't run a fan of any sorts either. My guess is that it'll add about 200HP right off the bat in your application.

Blown alcohol will melt pistons faster than you can say $hit, so invest in a wideband or go rich and lean out from there. Alcohol plugs are harder to read than gas also. But when you make the switch going back is oh, so easy. But then I'd have to ask why you would want to go back.

Dr. Hunt is right, it won't work. I don't know if you have a seperate fuel supply for the nitrous but you can run the nitrous with alky. I know guys running alky with nitrous and using alky instead of gas with the nitrous so I guess you could run the engine on gas and use alky in the nitrous system. I would just spray more nitrous when the weather got hotter.

• Like 1

Supposedly alky and nitrous go toghether like a hand in a glove. The octane rating of alky is supposedly around 150. I saw at one point a nitrous setup for alky that guaranteed a 900HP increase to the wheels or your money back! I can't imagine what engine could stand that much NOS, so it's probably a safe guarantee.

Are you planning on going carbs or FI? I would think that MFI would be alot easier to run and tune in your application.

Just got off the phone with BDS, probably the best bet is to do an intercooler that mounts under the blower, it is water cooled and is used mainly in Marine use. So I am going to start saving my money and go that route, if I decide to do Alky then the intercooler still would help.

If we get blistered this year at SEZ, then we will have to come to the March event when the weater is cooler and take them on.......

We always have the NOS we can turn up, right now just using 20% so we have room to go up.

We will experiment at SEZ and see what we can do. Thanks for the help Dr-hunt.....

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with BDS' date=' probably the best bet is to do an intercooler that mounts under the blower, it is water cooled and is used mainly in Marine use. So I am going to start saving my money and go that route, if I decide to do Alky then the intercooler still would help.

If we get blistered this year at SEZ, then we will have to come to the March event when the weater is cooler and take them on.......

We always have the NOS we can turn up, right now just using 20% so we have room to go up.

We will experiment at SEZ and see what we can do. Thanks for the help Dr-hunt.....[/quote']

Is that 20% overdrive or NOS? I'm confused, I thought NOS was in lb/hr or as most people like to say "100 shot" or "200shot".

No we use a progrssive NOS system, you can turn it to like 20% of a 175 shot then bring it to 100% at what ever time intervil you want. We have always just set it to 20% and told it to turn on a 100% at 10 seconds. Thus we are over the run in 9 seconds. The supercharger is only 2% overdriven for now. Probably will be testing 8% overdriven at SEZ.

Is that 20% overdrive or NOS? I'm confused, I thought NOS was in lb/hr or as most people like to say "100 shot" or "200shot".

No we use a progrssive NOS system, you can turn it to like 20% of a 175 shot then bring it to 100% at what ever time intervil you want. We have always just set it to 20% and told it to turn on a 100% at 10 seconds. Thus we are over the run in 9 seconds. The supercharger is only 2% overdriven for now. Probably will be testing 8% overdriven at SEZ.

Oh, nitrous controller, cool. Damn, NOS and boost!

Hmmmmmm.............................................

I think your a wus, just turn it up to 20% overdriven, add two alky supercharger carbs from C&S specialties, buy some 32x15x15 slicks and wheelie bars, go for broke. Even though you'll be broke by then. Should put it in the 7's for sure!