HybridZ

Road America ALMS weekend

Moridin

Where to begin. I got back today a little after 1PM. Missed one of my physics classes, so I hope I won't be in too much trouble for getting a little real world related learning in the process. It was a very long weekend. Lonnie spun in the last lap of warmup and tagged the wall with the passenger side rear. The crew got the car fixed when many people at the track thought it was not possible. Reminds me of Portland when the motor let go in the #45 car only 2 hours before the race. All of pit lane (read: all other teams) cheered as the car was rolled to the end to start from the back of the pack and proceeded to place 2nd. Long story short, it turned out to be roughly a 16 hour day the track with a few 12 hour ones before it. The race didn't go as well as everyone had liked it to, as the other car had a few "problems" on the track that took us off the lead lap for GT2. Ended up 5th. Not to good when Johannes van Overbeek and the #45 car are leading the GT2 championship fight.

Anyway, I got some really good pictures. Some of the cages and aero that a few wanted. The other come from one of the best burnouts of any ALMS car I've ever seen. It happened during the pit stop competition. I swear Hand pulled off a 100 yard 5MPH rolling tire fryer. All the seasoned mechanics didn't like it, but all the guys my age were pumped. I don't know about any of you, but seeing a $500,000 car burning off a $1000+ of rear tires was quite awesome. Then, during the beginning of the race, both Astons drifted the cars coming out of their respective pit boxes. Again, I don't see the drivers having fun like that, that often. Its cool to know they still enjoy driving.

So, here are the pictures:

Aston Martin DB9RS from Speed World Challenge GT

DBRS9.jpg

Burnout before pit stop competition

PTG_BMW_rolling_burnout.jpg

Left over tire

BMW_burnout_marks.jpg

BMW during pitstop competition

BMW_pitstop_comp_driverblur.jpg

Another of the Peterson/White Lightning car

White_Lightning_pitstop_comp.jpg

White Lightning Porsche that won the competition

White_Lightning_pitstop_comp2.jpg

Diesel Audi getting ready for the pit stop comp

Audi_ready_for_pitstop_comp.jpg

Corvette lined up

Corvette_lined_up_for_pitstop_comp.jpg

I will have the cage and aero pics up soon.

Nice photography skills! Pics are magazine quality! Can't wait to see the others, thanks for taking them.

Thanks a bunch. I played with the color quality a bit on the computer and made some of them much, much better (Better than what you see here). I wish I could bring my dad's prosumer (almost full grade profesional) Nikon D200 camera out to the track, but its too large to lug around. So, I use the little pocket Minolta that my dad has...plus, I can be a bit sneaky with the picture taking and know one really knows. Works surprisingly well. I'm getting some put on 11" x 14" photo paper to make some posters out of.

I'll post the other cage pics up after I get out of my calc class later today.

Awsome pictures man. Will you be at the Atlanta race coming up? Some of my freinds and I go every year. I love to go through the paddock area where all the teams are set up' date=' you can see all kinds of cool stuff there.

-Jason[/quote']

I hope so. It all depends on when they need me there. If its too early in the week then I can't afford to miss that much school. I didn't work the Petite Le Mans race in 04, so I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to do it this year.

This year should have a bunch of awesome stuff. New twin turbo V8 Dyson cars, diesel Audi, the Highcroft team (which will be running the Acura P2 car next year), Penske's huge budget, the Astons, and the list goes on. May finally have the IS350's too. That would be nice.

Thanks for the complements on the pictures. I appreciate it.