HybridZ

Mounting a electric fan low

Nathaust

I have a 16in electric fan that I was/am going to install in my 240z turbo. The problem I have is that my radiator is not 16 inches from top to bottom. Is there any good reason I should not mount the fan leaving the bottom inch or so hanging below the radiator? I supose this will not look most professional but is there any other reason? My other option would be to go to a 14in but I already have the 16 and I would be still using most of the surface area from the 16 hanging low then a 14 that fit flush. Any advice?

thx

jon

Guest 280ZForce

im not an expert, but just my .02 cents tells me that any of the fan exposed to the direct forced in air from the wind/debris entering the front end of the car could be damaged from rocks or other objects or maybe even become unstable because of the force of air just at that bottom portion.

i seen fans used in front of the radiator as pushing fans instead of pulling fans, but they are made to be in front of the radiator and i'm sure are protected to some extent of flying objects if they occurred.

If you have the $$$, get a properly sized fan that will fit your radiator....will make a much nicer installation! Like the old saying goes...."Do it right the first time!" With a properly sized fan, you will be able to mount it closer to the rad core, making it more effective at drawing air though the rad core. Hope this tidbit helps you out some?

Tom

As martini stated, if you really want to use the 16" fan because you've got it then block off the portion of the shroud below the radiator core. You'll get better airflow and cooling. My black magic fan uses a rubber surround to mate the shroud snug to the radiator. A bit of door/hatch weatherstripping would work well. There are many vehicles with offset fans to maximize surface area used. The alternative is the smaller 14" or dual 10"/12" fans at the cost of replacement from the local JY.

Thx for the replys guys,

I think I'll just break down and get a 14 that will fit. The 16 was fairly cheap and it is going to be a pain to fab up a shroud to my liking. My tolerance for running my intercooler pipe behind the mechanical fan is pretty close. Has anyone just spaced the mechanical fan out closer to the radiator and ran the piping behind the stock fan? I know a electric fan will be superior in cooling but I was thinking of a temporary solution untill I get a electric fan that fits right. If I spaced it out I have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the engine and intercooler pipe and between the intercooler pipe and the fan and between the fan and the radiator. Does the enigine move that much forward driving?

thx

john

I'd be reluctant to run the fan that close. Radiators are not cheap and hate being munched on by a rude fan blade. Besides, you need room to change fan belts. I have actually strapped engines to prevent rotation and forward movement in high HP situations (old school stuff).