HybridZ

Oregon emmisions and veh. registration

I have been searching around for a project to buy. I know that 74 and older cars are exempt from smog testing in Oregon. so I was looking at a 72 with no motor for an extreemly good deal (which is perfect). But now I have come across a 76 280 in WA. It used to have a SBC, but has been removed, leaving all the motor mounts, transmission, radiator and fan, drive shaft, exhaust, etc. in the car. (less hassle on my part to get the thing running).

So I would be saving money by getting the 280z, but would still have to worry about emmisions. The motor that I have built will not pass emmisions the way it is (RPM performer heads are not smog legal for one)

My question is this.....If I bought a WA car (no motor), do I have to re-register it (including emissions testing) in order to transfer the title from Washington to Oregon? Would I be saving myself the headache by getting the 72 and bypassing that whole emissions obstacle?

My other option, if I go with the 280Z, is to build another motor that is smog legal and just pop that guy in for the smog test, and pull it back out when I pass, but that is a huge pain in the @ss. I already have a 305 sitting around that I suppose I could rebuild as cheap as possible and just do that.

Go with 74 and older. The 75+ and new cars have to go through smog. Eventually your going to have to register it in oregon if you live here, and you will have to take it through emissions to have it registered. The one way around this is that south of I think woodburn they dont do DEQ testing at this point. I'm registering one of my cars at my mothers house in corvallis where you dont have to go through DEQ.

Regards,

Justin

Absolutely right! I live in Eugene and no emissions here. We do all the mods we can think of. As far as DEQ up in Portland, do they even do a visual inspection or is it just a sniffer test? If so, I'm sure any EFI V8 would probably burn cleaner than the stock motor. My buddy's VG30DETT in his 510 is way cleaner than the stock L16 and it has 4 times the horsepower and about the same mileage. Go figure! ;^)

On 80 and older cars (in portland at least) there is no visual. They aren't doing the dyno anymore because they couldn't afford it. So they just to a test for hydrocarbons and CO2 dilution at idle only. It's alittle more than just the sniffer, but not by much.