HybridZ

Turbo Lag w/larger I/C

dapiper

Just installed cheap Ebay intercooler with 20X12" core, 50% bigger with 2.5" mandrel tube and experiencing major lag. Don't think its the extra volume, only about 0.2 CF larger for a total of 0.5 CF which the motor should pump up in less that a sec.

Also installed stock AC. Now water temp up to 195 F in traffic and 180 F on road at speed in 95 deg day. Have 165 F thermostat. Have not checked press drop. Saw up to 150F under hood in traffic at air cleaner intake, which is also behind rad wash above and behind AC compressor. Need cold air intake but no room for air cleaner. Considering replacing rad support with tubing to liberate some space. Installer placed 5X12" oil cooler in front of I/C with 1/4" clearance; that has to move. Want to move I/C more forward, but now tubing won't reach.

Suspect Raptor blow off valve may be leaking. Added line to unsprung side of diaphragm to upstream of throttle tube which seemed to help.

Running return from I/C to engine from pass side behind top of rad thru S pipe; had to insulate tubing which lowered intake temp 30 deg F. Almost back to normal during evening runs with A/C off. Z was undrivable during day in SC heat. Wud post pix but forgot how. See member gallery's.

Stationary is better too, but temps quoted were while cruising. Used adhesive backed, foil clad urethane insul 1/8" with rating of R3. Will add another layer and advise. Hope it stays stuck.

Was considering repl of I/C with loop back return (180deg U bend on one side) and running both supply and return tubes on drivers side like before, but AC in way.

What so you think of increasing spacing betwen I/C and condenser and oil cooler. I thing I need at least an inch spacing and I/C needs to be out front.

Need clarification. Intake temp after I/C was 130F during cruising around town, but after adding insul to return pipe, temp dropped to 110F. Under low flow, return pipe exposure was adding heat back in after being cooled in I/C. This contributed to the turbo lag.

I will datalog and post results later.

No offense meant here man, but can you speak in sentences? Your posts read like your writing a classified add where you get billed by the word count. It makes it kind of annoying to read. If english isn't your first language, I appologize, but I'm having a hard time getting through it to help answer your questions.

As far as the turbo lag, have you varified you don't have any boost leaks? Thats where I would start.