HybridZ

How mount a video camera w/o a roll cage?

Zmanco

I was hoping to find a mount with suction cups, but couldn't find any that could mount updside down off the rear hatch glass. I really like the view I've seen on other's vides where it appears the camera is mounted between and behind the seats. Has anyone found a reasonably priced way to do that for those of us without a roll cage? It has to be safe enough to pass tech at a track day, too.

I would get a piece of steel and cut it to bolt under a couple of the strut hat nuts. That is if you don't have camber plates. You could bend it up the 15 or so degrees so tha camera sits flat. Maybe 1/8" steel if it is a light(er) camera. Sort of like a strut brace mounting plate.

A friend of mine uses a webcam adapted to mount to the windshield that records into his laptop. They built a triangle-ish shaped mount for the windshield out of cardboard, and they mounted a small camera into that. It seems to work pretty well, but it requires a laptop and webcam, surprisingly enough. So if cost is an issue, and you don't already have those things, I guess it would have to be something else...

I was hoping to find a mount with suction cups

I bought a suction cup camera mount some time ago from a mail order camera company. It is made in Italy by BOGEN #3025. If you look at my video clip titled "Different View", it was attached to the outside of my front fender and held a 4 pound camcorder quite securely while recording 300 feet of tire burning. It can be mounted on any non-porous, flat surface, upside down or whatever. It uses vacuum that is hand pumped to establish an unmoveable contact, until the vacuum is released. It was purchased so long ago that I don't remember how much it cost. I'm sure that unit or one similar is still available.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did a bit more googling (can't even remember what it was like before google:) ) and found this:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=panavise+809&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&lmode=online&scoring=p

Ordered one for $30 delivered. Should be good enough for an occasional track day.

If you look at my video clip titled "Different View", it was attached to the outside of my front fender and held a 4 pound camcorder quite securely while recording 300 feet of tire burning.
Just watched your video. Holy S**T Batman! I don't think the mount I just bought would stay on WITHOUT a camera.