HybridZ

thinking about going with forged pistons

nategdizzle

hey guys

i was thinking about going with forged pistons..i was wondering if there is anything i should be aware of when making a decision on them. i would like to go as cheap as i could. i have a n42 head and fel-pro headgasket and my compression is going to be around 8.47:1 or so..if i bore it out to 87mm like i want it will go to 8.65..is that too high for a turbo l28 i have good 93 octane here in iowa and i should have good detonation control..atleast thats what i think haha..should i think about lowering my compression with a gasket or will i be ok

thanks

nathan

I would suggest reading up on the specifics of building a turbo engine. Operating temperatures are higher and tolerances are different to allow for the additional heat. Maybe one of the members knowledgable on turbo engines will chime in and offer advice and or a good publication.

Tom

i would like to have some pistons made..but i dont even know where to start really..i would like to make a good quench area wat is the best way to that..i also am having my combustion chamber cc'ed and need to polish out some rough areas on number 6 cylinder..is there anything i could have my machinist do to the head to improve the quench area as well?

I just asked a similar question about forged pistons not too long ago. I was told basically that the Z motor doesn't do well with higher compression and high boost. If you are looking for the highest power than keep the compression low. If you are looking for a streetable ride than bring the compression up a little. I think most guys are at 8.5 or lower. I am going to shoot for 8 to 1 compression on my motor and have my head cleaned up significantly. Here is a link to my thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113942

To properly bore any engine you have to have the main caps installed, a torque plate installed, and water temperature up to operating running through it. Keep hunting.

There is a thread floating around, I think by johnc, or braap, or someone with a lot of knowledge about the pistons they used in their race engine. These pistons had a dish the shape of the N42 chamber to achieve nicer squish.

Hopefully they'll chime in here and correct all the mistakes I probably just made.

Dave