HybridZ

Have you ever heard of these guys?

Well, they are just a general engine re-builder. IMO that's not what you want. If your going to purchase an engine I'd go GM all the way and get warranty, plus it's a new engine, not rebuilt.

I cry sometimes when I see you guys buy rebuilder specials like that, knowing what goes or doesn't go into them.

Well what about these

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/123/products/110/1969-85-Most-Cars-and-Light-Duty-Pick-ups.htm

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine14.htm

I figure with a good intake, carb, and cam I could make 300 horse. That would be fun in a z right?

Oh, and I really am in the market for one maybe next week

Jake

Well what about these

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/123/products/110/1969-85-Most-Cars-and-Light-Duty-Pick-ups.htm

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine14.htm

I figure with a good intake' date=' carb, and cam I could make 300 horse. That would be fun in a z right?

Oh, and I really am in the market for one maybe next week

Jake[/quote']

Yeah, that's more like it, get the warranty, swap out the cam,lifters and slap on a good air gap dual plane with a good carb, you'll be smoking stang bootie in no time. IMO that's the best way to go, cheapest too!

Also can I put it in stock and then upgrade the cam and lifters later ( they go together right?)? I mean you dont have to pull the motor to due the cam.

Jake, you don't have to pull the engine to stab in a new cam, but you will have to remove the radiator and grill to get room...maybe the hood too. You can run the engine stock as is, no worries there, but when you finally do change out the cam, you'll have to install new lifters. That is more involved and requires removal of the intake. It's more work doing that way, but you have to choose.

I wonder if changing out the cam now, when the engine is new, will void the warranty? My guess is yes. Buy a GM engine that fits your needs as close as possible so you'll have nothing to do for a looong time. My $.02

Davy

Woohoo! I could go pick one of those up also. $500-600 for a rebuilt V8. Sounds like a deal to me. I thought I was going to have to buy an old car and pull one. My question is this. Anyone know if you can carburate an OHC'd motor? Will carb manifolds fit? They still use distributors in those?

Summit sells some bargin cam kits. They may not be the most extreme. But $800 for cams, lifters, manifold, 770cfm carb, & gaskets. The kit I speak of is for flat tapped cams though. But still a bargin.

stock springs max out at about .450 lift. Even then you have to shim them to get seat pressure. More importantly you have to check retainer to guide clearance and likely if your over that you have to cut the guides down (read machine shop time). Oh, and ditch the valve rotators on the exhaust valves and put intake retainers on them instead. It's better to buy matching springs IMO and take it to a machine shop to have them installed correctly, depending on cam lift. If your going GM crate engine it will be out of the vehicle, which is the best time to change that stuff, add and intake while your at it. Go with a mild cam, you'll be 30 to 40 horses ahead of where you were, get an intake and some long tube headers and you'll be close to the 300hp mark. Any more than that and you'll need some better heads. Ask anybody, 300HP in a z is pretty fast.

TY for the info. A book I will recomend is the S-A Design book, "Rebuilding the Small-Block Chevy". It comes with a 2 hour DVD showing a complete rebuild. Very informative, and helpfull to watch verses just reading it.

I never did answer which motor I thought would be the best buy. (I have now realized that the OHC motor is probably not a V8 seeing it is only 2.2L) My pick would be the 5.7L F.I. Roller motor. You should still be able to carb that motor even though it says F.I., if you want. But in response to a 300hp goal for a V8. If all you want is 300hp, the V8 swap is sort of a waste.