HybridZ

need help with understeer

Guest brad

Loosen those links! You've most likely preloaded the front anti-roll bar.

With the car sitting on the ground and level (side to side and front to back) you should just snug down the link bolts. The bushings on each side of the bar end should be just snugged to the bar end - ditto with the bushings on each side of the lower control arm. And don't be upset if more thread is exposed on one link bolt - that won't affect the anti-roll bar or how the car responds.

FYI... I replace the nut on top of the link bolt with a self-locking Nyloc nut.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: johnc ]

quote:

FYI... I replace the nut on top of the link bolt with a self-locking Nyloc nut.

Hey, good advice! Never thought of that one--got to keep it in mind. Thanks for the tip, John.

David

Guest brad

I just got finished putting new tie rod ends, ball joints, and struts into my 77 280Z. It feel alot better but now it's understeering severely.

I noticed the previous owner had replaced the old front sway bar bushings with urethane bushings. When I reassembled everything I remember torquing those link bolts going up to the urethane bushings pretty tight. I'm wondering if now the front is too tight compared to the stock (old) rear, and that is causing the car to push.

What could be causing this? I haven't had the car aligned since I did the tie rod ends, but the toe couldn't be far off (I set the tie rod length with a set of calipers to the factory manual spec).