HybridZ

240z in okinawa

Guest s0lidllama

Guest s0lidllama

Hi new to this forum. I used to own a 1983 280zx. It was a beautiful car and i loved it but for some retarded reason I sold it. Now I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan brand new here dont speak a lick of japanese or read it for that matter so its really hard for me to find the car im looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows some people or know of a way i could look up old Zs here in japan. When i leave here in a couple years my goal is to bring back a right hand steering 240 anyways thanks

Hate to tell you but if your luck enough to find one, it will be a rust bucket and you may get it for 10 to 15K if lucky. Restored ones were going for 25K plus when I was there. I brought mine from the states with me and could have sold it for quite a bit if I wanted to keep it stock....good luck!!!

Terry

Yikes! 10 to 15K for one! I bought my first Fairlady Z outside Kadena's gate 4 for 30,000 Yen. But that was 1986. It was a 73 and had been sitting in a covered area of a repair shop. My how things have changed!

Good luck finding one in decent shape there now. But you never know, one might just be sitting in a place you would least expect. I have another Fairlady Z now. And I found it locally in California.

Just keep your eyes open and enjoy driving around the countryside. I never learned Japanese but was still able to buy parts and cars from the wrecking yards.

Yikes! 10 to 15K for one! I bought my first Fairlady Z outside Kadena's gate 4 for 30' date='000 Yen. But that was 1986. It was a 73 and had been sitting in a covered area of a repair shop. My how things have changed!

Good luck finding one in decent shape there now. But you never know, one might just be sitting in a place you would least expect. I have another Fairlady Z now. And I found it locally in California.

Just keep your eyes open and enjoy driving around the countryside. I never learned Japanese but was still able to buy parts and cars from the wrecking yards.[/quote']

Yep I bought my first in 1982 and it was a 73 for $800. It was mint. Could buy an L28 from the junk yard for 25,000 yen and triple Mikunis for like 20,000 yen. I tranny went for 5000 yen and the diffs were like 2500 yen. Remember that crap!! My second car was a black 2+2 74, got pics in my gallery, you may have seen it. I took it back to the states in 1986. Times have changed. Still better to get one from the states and ship it for free with orders if 76 or older.

Terry

Terry

Your 2+2 is a near exact match to what I am building now! Right down to the G-Nose, flares, tail lights and rear window louvers.

Time is not on my side with rebuilding mine. All the parts are there. The motor is at the machine shop now being balanced. Does not do me any good considering the body still needs lots of work.

http://www.fairladyzg.com/index.htm

I always liked this one. Don shipped it home to the east coast in 1986.

donz_1.jpg

donz_2.jpg

donz_3.jpg

Your 2+2 is a near exact match to what I am building now! Right down to the G-Nose' date=' flares, tail lights and rear window louvers.

Time is not on my side with rebuilding mine. All the parts are there. The motor is at the machine shop now being balanced. Does not do me any good considering the body still needs lots of work.

http://www.fairladyzg.com/index.htm

I always liked this one. Don shipped it home to the east coast in 1986.

[img']http://www.fairladyzg.com/images/donz_1.jpg[/img]

donz_2.jpg

donz_3.jpg

Whooly crap!!! Your engine is thE ExaCt setup I had. SAme filters and same yellow wires. I had the yellow ACCEL coil too. HAHA Damn that brings back memories...I sold that car in 1990 before I went to Saudi for Desert Shield. Could be in the states somewhere still. Was Navy blue when I sold it. The window louvers were cut out of Supra Louvers I think and had old corolla vents behind the rear side windows. Went 14.5 at Carlsbad at 95MPH NA in 86....

Terry

I can not take credit for that Z being mine. It was my friend Don's. I always liked the look of how he built it up.

Unfortunetly I no longer have photos of the 73 Z I brought back. It had triple Solex's on it as well.

Do you remember seeing this there?

car_002.jpg

car_003.jpg

It got me into a lot of trouble while I was there.

I was on Kadena alot but you know the lawas back then they were always trying to catch us kids with modifications. Especially out in town. We used to race on 58 near KUWAE and AJA port. Those were the days. Im sure I saw your car but just dont remember cause its been so long.... The KenMarys were out in full force and box skylines etc. Lots of Zs, corollas and Hachi Rokus. Where has time gone? :-P

Terry

There was another place I used to race. It was on a separate island. There was a long bridge going to it. I think a refinery was next to the road? All I remember was it was one heck of a long straitaway. I remember some hot Familias with rotary's and those 2000cc DOHC high compression Corolla's.

I never had any problems with the JP's. It was always the Marine MP's harrasing me about wheels being a half inch to wide on my Celica GTV or doing burnouts in the Firebird off base near Camp Hansen. I almost hit the MP when he jumped in front of me with his hand out.

Sorry s0lidllama, seems we have kind of got off subject on your thread...

There was another place I used to race. It was on a separate island. There was a long bridge going to it. I think a refinery was next to the road? All I remember was it was one heck of a long straitaway. I remember some hot Familias with rotary's and those 2000cc DOHC high compression Corolla's.

I never had any problems with the JP's. It was always the Marine MP's harrasing me about wheels being a half inch to wide on my Celica GTV or doing burnouts in the Firebird off base near Camp Hansen. I almost hit the MP when he jumped in front of me with his hand out.

Sorry s0lidllama' date=' seems we have kind of got off subject on your thread...[/quote']

Stealth your talking about HENZA!!!! Yes that is like a mile long....they are still tearing it up out there...only now its R34s, 32s, 33s, Silvias, Supras, RX7s, R33s, R32s, A few S30s (still pretty damn quick) etc....

Terry

Guest s0lidllama

Sorry s0lidllama' date=' seems we have kind of got off subject on your thread...[/quote']

I see that weve gotten a little off topic :) its alright though I think i got a Contact i got a PM from someone so ill give it a shot. I like hearing about all the things that used to be done around here. Gives me some bad ideas :icon47:

I see that weve gotten a little off topic :) its alright though I think i got a Contact i got a PM from someone so ill give it a shot. I like hearing about all the things that used to be done around here. Gives me some bad ideas :icon47:

s0lidllama,

Enjoy your time there. Many think of it as the Rock and cannot wait to leave. My tour was originally for 18 months, I extented my time there. Saturday nights at the A&W's seemed like right out of the 60's & 70's cruising era. At least there you do not have to worry about someone pulling a gun on you over stupid stuff.

slownrusty,

Street racing was fun and intense there. An adrenaline rush different than a 1/4 mile track. But people did get killed at it then to. For some reason it did not make headline news like it does here in the U.S. What keeps my street racing habitions down is the thought of someone making a right turn in front of me. Bad enough I am doing the speed limit when they do it. Not a pretty site when you are doing over a 100. It's like many people do not have depth perception.