HybridZ

Steering wheel shakes

Well, I guess for my part of this thread, I'm in sort of the "well, that's not it either" mode - which is obtuse, I know. The fronts do actually happen to be from Discount tire where I got the wheels. They used to be the rears, but I rotated (then proceeded to burn down the rears and had to get new tires - damn horsepower). I do always criss-cross, sequentially tighten the lugs - sort of a ritual that someone, somewhere, maybe an uncle, taught me when I was 12. I'm actually not positive that it's necessary, but Im too chicken to stop doin it.

At any rate, like I said, mine is a stupidly wierd situation. My drive home, for instance, was totally smooth. Vibration free. Drove at all kinds of different speeds ranging from 50mph to 85mph and everything in between (traffic was random on the commute). But this morning I had a slight vibration at around 65mph. It's just a wacky situation. Same car, same tires, same road - same everything.

Maybe there's condensation inside the tire and it just happens to settle out strangely some days?

You have to buy a tank first... that will run you $200... then you need a regulator... another $60... Then the tanks cost $50-70 to refill each time...

If you figure $400 you will not be dissapointed...

If you want to purge air and moisture from your wheels you need opposed valve stems.... figure another $100 to get them installed...

Man i cant even remember when i posted this question but problem solved . Where i work they have a tire and rim balancer . It measuers rim runout against the tire run out . It cost about 14 grand for this machine but its worth it .

What it does is measure road force . It has a roller that puts about 1,000 pounds of force on the tire while it spins ata slow speed . Then ya lower to arms against the lip of the rim to make sure the rim is ok .

Come to find out my rims are as good as they get only .0010 side to side run out and .0009 of up and down run out . The tire was the problem it basaicly told me the tire was crooked ..

Plus this machine can be set for different style rims like say cragar rims like the torque thrust style . You can note each spoke or arm on the rim "which i did for mine" and then it will tell ya where to put the stick on weights behind the arm so they arent on the outside of the rim for a clean look .

All in all its the best ride ive had in years in my z . So much for the local tire stores and theire machines . The one at my job is amazing of course its at a Hyundai dealership no one else on the block has one not even ford or chevy as tey come use ours once in awhile . Even had dodge come visit with some viper rims go figure .

Jason

Hunter makes those machines... there are also several other brands... and they are very expensive.. All of the older balancers are functionally obsolete...

With those numbers for runout... I would question the measurement...

If you leave that wheel sitting in the sun for 15 minutes it will change FAR MORE than that...