HybridZ

240z Metal Bumper Source?

JustinOlson

I have a 77 280z that I'm working on fixing up and have taken off the big bulky bumpers. I'm looking at fitting metal 240z bumpers. I'm wondering if any companies sell replica 240z bumpers for a reasonable price. If not, am I best getting a used set and rechroming them?

I found these from MSA, but I'd like metal bumpers:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/7BSA01

Regards,

Justin

If you want a chrome bumper that's styled the same as the fiberglass and carbon fiber one's from MSA, your talking about what they call "European bumpers". They don't have the provisions for the bumper guards and rubber inserts.

If your not in a big hurry, you can find them on eBay once in a while. MSA carries them as well, even though they don't list them in their catalog (at least they used too, and the quality isn't the best). If you can find a good used set, getting them rechromed is always an option as well.

My car isn't done yet, but here's a couple of shots of my European bumpers.

frontview.jpg

rear.JPG

I looked at the catalouge and Black Dragon is "offering the bumpers both with and without the rubber bumpers holes. Clean is 400.00 and with the holes is 460.00.

What has been the range of E-Bay buys?

Chrom looks nice but I had originally planed for black.

Have put it off so far as it can be settled in the end even after she gets out of paint. But I'm there.

I looked at the catalouge and Black Dragon is "offering the bumpers both with and without the rubber bumpers holes. Clean is 400.00 and with the holes is 460.00.

What has been the range of E-Bay buys?

Chrom looks nice but I had originally planed for black.

Have put it off so far as it can be settled in the end even after she gets out of paint. But I'm there.

The front is easier to find and cheaper than the back. I got my front from MSA, and the quality on that one is pretty high. It looks like Black Dragon only carries the right side rear bumper (no center or left side). The rear is also where I ran into problems with MSA on the quality. I finally wound up using MSA's left and right sides and got the center piece on eBay. The costs, quality and availabilty of these items on eBay is always a big unknown. I've seen complete sets go for less than $500 over the past couple of years.

If you have a 73 or later you will also need to get the brackets or fab up your own (this is true if you get fiberglass or carbon fiber bumpers as well).

The front is easier to find and cheaper than the back. I got my front from MSA' date=' and the quality on that one is pretty high. It looks like Black Dragon only carries the right side rear bumper (no center or left side). The rear is also where I ran into problems with MSA on the quality. I finally wound up using MSA's left and right sides and got the center piece on eBay. The costs, quality and availabilty of these items on eBay is always a big unknown. I've seen complete sets go for less than $500 over the past couple of years.

If you have a 73 or later you will also need to get the brackets or fab up your own (this is true if you get fiberglass or carbon fiber bumpers as well).[/quote']

Thanks for the info!

Yes I had noticed in the Black Dragon Catalogue that one has to look closely at the diagrams cause although they show all the parts, not all the parts are for sale.

I shaved the Zs ass and am going with out the rear bumper so with only the front to contend with, perhaps I should quit my whining and purchase the Chrome one. Hell I spent more than that much on a set of pistons!

The chrome would match up with the window trim, door handles and wheel lips.

By the way...nice ride Bartman!

Thanks.