HybridZ

Subaru LSD questions?

RacnJsn95

I picked up an open 4.111 R160 from a Lagacy Wagon today at the junkyard. I picked it up for $25 bucks. I've been reading up on the subaru rear end swap, and lsd stuff, on dime quaterly...

I've read that people have taken the LSD unit, and used it with different gears (such as 4.11)... The above said swaps are generally the clutch type LSD though... They're pretty much impossible to find, and if you DO find one, they will generally cost you your first born... Well maybe not that much, more like an arm or a leg .

So here's what I'm getting at. The Subaru Viscous LSD (VLSD) is more readily available, and cheaper. I've read they aren't as good as a clutch type, but it's still better than nothing. The DQ article says they are good for going in a straight line, or from dead stops in slippery condidtions... Most of my racing will be at the drag strip, so I think it would suit me fine.

Can the Subaru VLSD unit be swapped into a different open case with different gears, OR could different gears be swapped into the VLSD care? I'd really like to get these 4.11s set up with limited slip... Anyone ever play around with the VLSDs?

(this is for my 510 btw)

• 2 weeks later...

So I made the trip to Corvallis on Saturday to buy a 3.70 LSD R160. I picked it up for $180, and spent about $40 bucks for the trip. So today I ripped the 3.70 LSD, and the 4.11 open diffs apart. With a little elbow grease, and about 7 hours time, I now have what appears to be a working 4.11 LSD rear end for my 510. The backlash is set, and it's ready to go into the car. I'm real excited about it! I proved a lot of peoples notes wrong along the way, and had some make up some of my own crap to make it work... If anyones interested I can do a write up some time? (btw, the LSD is a clutch type, not a VLSD)

I did that very thing and put it into my 510 about a decade ago. It works just fine. Of course' date=' the 4.11 worked well with a high revving small motor, where the 3.70 was much better for the 2.2 and the VG30 turbo when I had those in the 510.

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm[/quote']

I've been reading that site for the past week or so, and I didn't have to have the ring gear drilled to 11mm at all! The open 4.11 ring gear was already drilled in an 11mm fine thread. Everything was pretty much bolt together! Also, the site says the LSD ring gear bolts are longer, but when compared to the open bolts they are exactly the same (but I used them anyway)! The only thing I had to do that wasn't described in kurts article was grind the side of the open diff case to match the LSD case becuase I couldn't get the carrier and ring gear in with the little nubbys on there... I would have used the LSD case, but I couldn't get the 4.11 pinion out of the open case, so I just put the LSD carrier into the 4.11 case with the ring gear.

Hey.. what did you find that was inaccurate.???

I butted heads here with my R-200 Nismo CLSD... it turns out that there are more variations in these things than you might think... Even torque specs for bolts differ from source to source in published industry notes...

I used reccomended fastener specs rather than the info I found in the Factory service manuals... I had smaller ring gear bolts than the factory info was referring to...

Well the site said that I would have to have the ring gear drilled out to 11mm, because the LSD uses bigger bolts than the open rear... That wasn't true, I read that all subaru R160s after xx/1986 were 11mm fine thread, and so far that would seem to be true...

The site that the LSD ring gear bolts were longer, but they were the EXACT same bolts that were in the open rear.

The site didn't say I would have to grind some out of the open case to put the LSD carrier, but then again it doesn't cover swapping the carrier over, just swaping in a rearend, so can't point a finger there...

All in all, everything was fine. I'm actually glad that I didn't have to have the ring gear holes drilled out bigger, saved me time and money.