HybridZ

Alternative to stud gun dent pullers

RacerX

Someone had sent me a question about pulling dents and I thought I'd share this alternative to electric stud gun dent pullers that require welding a stud to the metal panel.

Glue gun dent pullers:

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=google&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=91358&mscssid=XLQUW5T15T228HT0CW3LLWL3ND500439

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=google&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=91301&mscssid=XLQUW5T15T228HT0CW3LLWL3ND500439

RacerX

Ernie:

I have (as I am sure you have) used most of the item(s) available on the market today, from the old slide hammer technique, brazing, heating and shrinking with a torch, to the dolly and hammer, and finally stud gun. All have their merits, and short commings. I have also seen a system that uses discs to grind heat and reshape (massage) the area(s) into correct form. I have also heard conflicting reports regarding the success rate with the glue dent removal application. I myself work the dollies and hammer, combined with the stud gun. Have had a very high success rate with them. The one draw back is that you naturally have to do the surface prep and refinish, whereas, with the glue you may not have to ( but you also may not get the complete dent out, especially small dings.)

Along with the glue type vs the other applications I mentioned, the glue kit is just too damn expensive for what you get. I would much rather use an item that is tired and true and has stood the test of time for 1/2 the price. Just my experiences.

Van