HybridZ

Needs some advise.

Cody 82 ZXT

I could really use some good advise here from the more experienced members on the board here.

I've been slowly doing rust repair on my ZX for awhile now and I've come to what in my opinon is the hardest spot to repair on the car. What I have been doing is just cutting out the old metal and welding in new metal. Not hard but, I'm not sure this is the right thing to do in the this spot. This is the area near the gas tank right under the filler cap.

showphoto.php?photo=10750&cat=500

If you look closely in the picture you can see that there is metal behind the area that needs to be repaired. I afriad that the metal behind the surface sheetmetal might have the same rust. Should I just cut the metal out and then make a decision? What should I spray in there to prevent new rust? There are so many product which one do I choose?

Also, I'm a little nervous about doing this kind of work near the filler neck. Could I possibly just spray the area with some rust stopper of some sort and then use a filler to repair the area?

Thanks for your time.

if you remove the interior pannels, you can look at the area you have in question. if from the rear you can see rust i would suggest getting rid of the inner part that is rusty. as for the actual quarter, the holes are small enough to use body filler, if you tried to cut and weld on it i think you would be going backwards

:icon47: If the holes aren't that bad on the backside. Just fill the holes with (kitty hair) or short strand fiberglass. If you put body filler in it, over time it will swell from the moisture coming from the backside and in the end it will crack. If you put the fiberglass on it first. This will not allow this to happen. Then you can add the filler to the outside and sand down. Remember to primer over the area after you get done or before going out into the rain. If you only have the filler on the outside, it will still absorb water. So you can paint over it (rattle can it or primer), just make sure it is all covered. You can sand off the rattle can paint, just before you paint it.